Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alternative to fiberglass for damping
Alternative to fiberglass for damping
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2020, 09:45 AM   #1
birkbott is offline birkbott  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Alternative to fiberglass for damping

Looking to build enclosures for my Super 8s from Audio Nirvana using the mini-monitor plans (bass reflex). The plans call for the box to be lined with fiberglass but I have concerns about working with it.

Is there a good alternative? It specifically says not to use foam damping.
Old 17th October 2020, 09:56 AM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

In the UK we now use Rockwool for insulation and damping.

ROCKWOOL insulation is a rock-based mineral fibre insulation comprised of Basalt rock and Recycled Slag. Basalt is a volcanic rock (abundant in the earth), and slag is a by-product of the steel and copper industry. The minerals are melted and spun into fibres.
Old 17th October 2020, 10:00 AM   #3
birkbott is offline birkbott  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
In the UK we now use Rockwool for insulation and damping.

ROCKWOOL insulation is a rock-based mineral fibre insulation comprised of Basalt rock and Recycled Slag. Basalt is a volcanic rock (abundant in the earth), and slag is a by-product of the steel and copper industry. The minerals are melted and spun into fibres.
Thanks, I had looked at that. Can it be stapled to the walls like fiberglass? Unfortunately itís expensive locally, but I may give it a shot.
Old 17th October 2020, 10:32 AM   #4
arcgotic is offline arcgotic  Romania
diyAudio Member

Maybe you can put it in some sort of fabric cover/socks and staple it then.
Old 17th October 2020, 11:58 AM   #5
larryldspkr is offline larryldspkr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Try Bonded Logic recycled cotton insulation, Home Depot sells it in 2 inch thickness works great!

Larry
Old 17th October 2020, 12:02 PM   #6
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Rockwool can be stapled, much like fibre glass.
Cotton is also good and works well.
Old 17th October 2020, 04:50 PM   #7
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

As far as I'm aware there are few confirmed issues to working with fibreglass other than the fact that you're better off wearing gloves & should take the usual precautions. OC-703 bonded fibreglass board is one of the most effective damping materials easily available and since it isn't loose, it cuts down irritation when working with it and you have very little in the way of escaped fibres to concern yourself over. Alternatively there is equivalent rockwool, or if you prefer natural fibre, SAE-F10 rated wool felt or jute carpet underlay. Ultratouch recycled denim can be effective depending on source.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 17th October 2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 17th October 2020, 08:01 PM   #8
WithTarragon is offline WithTarragon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkbott View Post
Thanks, I had looked at that. Can it be stapled to the walls like fiberglass? Unfortunately itís expensive locally, but I may give it a shot.
It is plentiful and should not be very expensive in the USA. It goes by the name Rouxul and can be found at Lowes and Home Depot. It will be thicker than you might need, but a thinner layer can be "peeled" off.

Although I have not personally used it before, there is an insulation made from re-cycled denim called Ultra Touch. The density is similar to pressed fiberglass (3 lb/cuft) and has similar absorption coefficients. It is also widely available. Note, my knowledge of the denim is second hand.

Good luck
Old 17th October 2020, 08:26 PM   #9
bradleypnw is offline bradleypnw
diyAudio Member

xrk971 mentioned melamine sponges in this post. They are available on Amazon in bulk.

What can I do against 'box sound' ?

And you can use the extras to clean your house.

Last edited by bradleypnw; 17th October 2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 17th October 2020, 08:38 PM   #10
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

one of the oddest things I've heard for damping = steel wool, for small sealed chambers and of course, contained with cloth. Its probably been used in "suppressors" (?)

A long time ago, Kimberly-Clark's paper insulation material "Kim-sul" was popular for speaker cabinet damping and used by Bozak, Karlson, and many others. A shame its gone.

Last edited by freddi; 17th October 2020 at 08:40 PM.

Alternative to fiberglass for dampingHide this!Advertise here!