Seas fa22rcz vs. Tb w8-2145

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't comment on the TB, but for the SEAS a few things to note. I have a pair. If you want bass, it will need a huge cabinet, much bigger than most 8". I think it was about 3 cut ft. You can look it up in the application note. It also requires a super tweeter if you wanted real treble.

Oon

some years ago, Ken Lehman made a K-coupler for a Meniscus Eclipse polycone 8. It had a curved reflector and round duct port above the woofer. At the top of the front chamber was a removable panel which allowed a smoothing stub to be added. Left alone, response was somewhat rough. When the stub was added, response smoothed, impulse response improved, and "artifacts" disappeared. That or simplified would probably play with the low Fs SEAS. Now whether these speakers have enough treble power to work = ? W8-1772 played nice treble wise in all of my Karlson toys.

Oon's report on the SEAS sounds like it could use augmentation. BetsyK needed that in a Karlson K12 but otherwise really loaded well.

some years ago, Ken Lehman made a K-coupler for a Meniscus Eclipse polycone 8. It had a curved reflector and round duct port above the woofer. At the top of the front chamber was a removable panel which allowed a smoothing stub to be added. Left alone, response was somewhat rough. When the stub was added, response smoothed, impulse response improved, and "artifacts" disappeared. That or simplified would probably play with the low Fs SEAS. Now whether these speakers have enough treble power to work = ? W8-1772 played nice treble wise in all of my Karlson toys.

Oon's report on the SEAS sounds like it could use augmentation. BetsyK needed that in a Karlson K12 but otherwise really loaded well.
I would just highlight that to me, it doesn't sound like a "real" tweeter, something in a 2 way build. But if you are happy with it, you don't really need it. YMMV of course.

Oon

Lots of views, that’s good.

After watching another Steven Gutenberg video blog, he’s mentioned it before, if you listen to a wide variety of music, you may need multiple speakers.

I really think he is right.

Even now, my jbl’s in my avatar kick butt. I listen to stained or the weekend at higher volumes. But I also want super clean intelligibility, think Allison Kraus, the cd that has whisky lullaby on it, I swear she is mumbling on some of those songs, maybe humming more than signing anyway......

I’ve had luck with a 4 x fe87 short array, not for music (ew), but awesome intelligibility for late night movie listening.

8” full range Run wide open is a good niche, I think it can work, especially for yo-yo ma, voice stuff, so and so and his quartet, etc.

Last edited:
I would tend for the TB, that Seas i heared it and the higher part of the frequencyspectrum is very resonant and ear-fatiguing i think. It's also almost double as expensive as the TB and for me not worth it. You also see that on the spec sheet. For the rest they are very similar on specs.

A 3.2cuft ported cabinet gives me a F3 response (in winisd) of 33.6Hz for the TB. That is with a 4" vent of 5" 1/3th long and a max port air velocity of 14.5 (wich is below what is needed). It's also good one for an (ML)TL or a TQWT with these specs, the Seas much less.

Last edited:
just filling in the void (cavity) which would be under a dust cap helps so imo a short plug with a flat end is OK. I dread the proliferation/fad of car speakers and whatever which have "bullet" plugs as have a cheap Boss 10" with one. It was around 20 bucks and would have been about as good as a Nirvana other than a plastic ring at the end of the former causing some funky stuff.

The SEAS sounds warmer than the TB. The TB is faster with better transient response and sounds more agile and open but also dry and more analytical with the tendency to get nasal with some records like Fleetwood Mac Rumours. The SEAS has more creamy mids and fuller upper bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.