Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Seas fa22rcz vs. Tb w8-2145
Seas fa22rcz vs. Tb w8-2145
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2020, 12:56 AM   #1
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Seas fa22rcz vs. Tb w8-2145

I've had the 2145, no lift 1-4khz, nice boost in highs, just needs bass boost to sound balanced.

But the fa22 looks nice too, needing the passive eq ckt though. And no phase plug, eventhough the cylinder in the 2145 seems too short.

What do you think ?
Old 9th October 2020, 02:40 AM   #2
oon_the_kid is offline oon_the_kid  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

I can't comment on the TB, but for the SEAS a few things to note. I have a pair. If you want bass, it will need a huge cabinet, much bigger than most 8". I think it was about 3 cut ft. You can look it up in the application note. It also requires a super tweeter if you wanted real treble.

Oon
Old 9th October 2020, 03:31 AM   #3
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

some years ago, Ken Lehman made a K-coupler for a Meniscus Eclipse polycone 8. It had a curved reflector and round duct port above the woofer. At the top of the front chamber was a removable panel which allowed a smoothing stub to be added. Left alone, response was somewhat rough. When the stub was added, response smoothed, impulse response improved, and "artifacts" disappeared. That or simplified would probably play with the low Fs SEAS. Now whether these speakers have enough treble power to work = ? W8-1772 played nice treble wise in all of my Karlson toys.

Oon's report on the SEAS sounds like it could use augmentation. BetsyK needed that in a Karlson K12 but otherwise really loaded well.
Old 9th October 2020, 06:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
some years ago, Ken Lehman made a K-coupler for a Meniscus Eclipse polycone 8. It had a curved reflector and round duct port above the woofer. At the top of the front chamber was a removable panel which allowed a smoothing stub to be added. Left alone, response was somewhat rough. When the stub was added, response smoothed, impulse response improved, and "artifacts" disappeared. That or simplified would probably play with the low Fs SEAS. Now whether these speakers have enough treble power to work = ? W8-1772 played nice treble wise in all of my Karlson toys.

Oon's report on the SEAS sounds like it could use augmentation. BetsyK needed that in a Karlson K12 but otherwise really loaded well.
I would just highlight that to me, it doesn't sound like a "real" tweeter, something in a 2 way build. But if you are happy with it, you don't really need it. YMMV of course.

Oon
Old 9th October 2020, 07:01 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

3ft3 is fine.

12" deep x 19" wide x 31" tall = 3ft3 assuming 3/4" wood.

If you made fern & roby raven's speaker stand part of a solid box, dimensions are very similar.
Old 11th October 2020, 03:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

If you pop by SEAS main webpage you can download the application note for it. That gives you the cabinet size and RC network required.

Oon
Old 12th October 2020, 05:51 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Fa22rcz

.707 sealed
Vb = 1.54ft3
F3 = fsb = 60hz

Ported
Vb = 2.93 ft3
F3 = 36hz
Tune = 34hz

W8-2145

.707 sealed
Vb = 1.5 ft3
F3 = fsb = 64hz

Ported
Vb = 3.18ft3
F3 = 35hz
Tune = 36.6hz

Speaker Box Enclosure Designer / Calculator

Basically very similar sized sealed and ported with similar f3's
Old 27th November 2020, 08:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Lots of views, that’s good.

After watching another Steven Gutenberg video blog, he’s mentioned it before, if you listen to a wide variety of music, you may need multiple speakers.

I really think he is right.

Even now, my jbl’s in my avatar kick butt. I listen to stained or the weekend at higher volumes. But I also want super clean intelligibility, think Allison Kraus, the cd that has whisky lullaby on it, I swear she is mumbling on some of those songs, maybe humming more than signing anyway......

I’ve had luck with a 4 x fe87 short array, not for music (ew), but awesome intelligibility for late night movie listening.

8” full range Run wide open is a good niche, I think it can work, especially for yo-yo ma, voice stuff, so and so and his quartet, etc.

Last edited by norman bates; 27th November 2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 27th November 2020, 09:59 PM   #9
waxx is offline waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I would tend for the TB, that Seas i heared it and the higher part of the frequencyspectrum is very resonant and ear-fatiguing i think. It's also almost double as expensive as the TB and for me not worth it. You also see that on the spec sheet. For the rest they are very similar on specs.

A 3.2cuft ported cabinet gives me a F3 response (in winisd) of 33.6Hz for the TB. That is with a 4" vent of 5" 1/3th long and a max port air velocity of 14.5 (wich is below what is needed). It's also good one for an (ML)TL or a TQWT with these specs, the Seas much less.

Last edited by waxx; 27th November 2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old 28th November 2020, 03:37 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the port dimensions.

Tang band retails here under $100 with free shipping and maybe 7% sales tax.
Seas comes in at $150, plus sales tax and shipping.

Any idea on the tb's seemingly too short cylinder phase plug ?

I remember steve deckert (decware) did a paper on a similar but scouped out phase plug.

DECWARE - Audio Paper - Decware Phase Guide

Seas fa22rcz vs. Tb w8-2145Hide this!Advertise here!