Cheap full range for small test cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for some cheapish drivers for testing purposes. (Building an amp) If I blow them I can just buy more and not cry too much. I think they should be 8ohm and rated to minimum 25-50 watts. I can build whatever cabinet is necessary.

I was thinking possibly 75mm - 100mm (3 or 4 inch) full range. It obviously doesn't need to sound hifi with flat extended responses, but when testing, music should sound reasonably like music.

Was hoping to get drivers for about $30 NZD each or less. Including freight. Or if any NZers know a source in NZ.

Any ideas.

To give an alternative (that is easier to get in Europe at least): the Visaton FRS8 (3.3"/80mm) is only 10€ here and also reasonable good and works in a simple 10L sealed box.

But the Vifa/Peerless TC9 is a great candidate, that is true. Only not so easy to find here in Europe and more expensive. Probally the same in NZ

FRS 8 4 OHM | Visaton Round Cabinet Speaker, 30W nom, 50W max, 4Ω | RS Components

Last edited:
Maakbow, you could probably salvage what you're looking for from some old computer speakers very cheaply.
Logitech springs to mind, they often use tang band drivers.
I picked up a set of nice full range Yamaha units for $20 recently, came from a high quality micro system.

You shouldn't be too far away from a Jaycar NZ store.

They have the HiVI B3S full range which may do the job as they are cheap and maybe cheerful but I've never heard them. There's plenty of designs around for these (search diyAudio & Google) and may need BSC depending on taste and use.

Expect low end around 100Hz for sealed and around 65Hz vented.

Shielded 3 Inch 15W 8-Ohm Full Range Speaker | Jaycar Electronics New Zealand

Zaph did a design yonks ago but you can always pass on the filter initially.
Zaph|Audio

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.