Is the Gough´s Speaker a transmission line?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

i found this Gough´s speaker enclosure and i love the concept of refletion of the sound.

but im wondering if it will sound good and if its worth to build one

its a transmission line?

because has a paralell tube but it has no stuffing

somebody heard one of this cabinets?

here is a website dedicated to this cabinet:
History - GOUGH SPEAKERS ARCHIVE

and here two videos video of one :

All hail Jabez Gough and the 1957 vacuum-tube hi-fi - YouTube

Old-school hi-fi with a Gough speaker - YouTube

Attachments

• Vintage-controversial-Jabez-Gough-reflecting-loudspeaker-excellent.jpg
    Vintage-controversial-Jabez-Gough-reflecting-loudspeaker-excellent.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 223
  • image036.jpg
    image036.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 124
  • PlanRear.jpg
    PlanRear.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 114
  • image028.jpg
    image028.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 95
  • content.png
    content.png
    308.8 KB · Views: 81
  • content.jpg
    content.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 85
  • content (2).jpg
    content (2).jpg
    639.9 KB · Views: 207
  • Vintage-controversial-Jabez-Gough-reflecting-loudspeaker-excellent-_57 (6).jpg
    Vintage-controversial-Jabez-Gough-reflecting-loudspeaker-excellent-_57 (6).jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC05039.jpg
    DSC05039.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 224
  • Vintage-controversial-Jabez-Gough-reflecting-loudspeaker-excellent-_57 (2).jpg
    Vintage-controversial-Jabez-Gough-reflecting-loudspeaker-excellent-_57 (2).jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
i don't have an OS for hornresp, but you can see the pipe's first section is ~775 sq.cm. 2nd section ~580 sq.cm. The dual exits are close to the driver and the lid effectively adds a bit of length to the path. It's an attractive looking cabinet being reminiscent of phonograph from its day.

im in doubt looking it as a transmission line, because the tube sectional area is much bigger than the cone area....its not common in TL as i have seen...it make sense?

I made some research about this cabinet and goughs said that he didnt make any calculations to build this, and he dont know much about acoustic theory. and deveop this through trial and error

*he said it too in the article attached

in the article he said that the design could be scaled up or down to suit bigger os smaller drivers

as i know changing the lenght will change the tuning...and attached is a photo of goughs with very little cabinets... so that cabinets are tuned in more high frequencies...wich i think is not good:confused:

but could we redesign this using the same concept but now calculating with acoustic parameters and make this concept more acurate technically?

because at the time the inventor didnt have technical knowledge to improve his concept

and maybe this concept has more potencial than the knowledge of the inventor of the time could bring to life

i love the concept but i dont have yet pratical experience enough to improve this... i´m reading things and triyng to understand more about the theory have some ideas to apply.

i think would be good if we try together to design a modern version of this...something like a Goughs speaker 2.0

so any help (or mentor) in this challenge would be great

Attachments

• content (1).jpg
    content (1).jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 65
  • content (2).jpg
    content (2).jpg
    639.9 KB · Views: 74
  • content - Copia.jpg
    content - Copia.jpg
    936.8 KB · Views: 65
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It’s a resonant aero-acoustic device that’s for sure. Calling it a TL vs a back loaded horn etc doesn’t change fact that it will have a resonant frequency around 60Hz based upon the path length. When I model this is Akabak it’s all a “waveguide” element, the building block for TLs or horns or waveguides. But I would say it’s closer to a BLH.

i don't have an OS for hornresp, but you can see the pipe's first section is ~775 sq.cm. 2nd section ~580 sq.cm. The dual exits are close to the driver and the lid effectively adds a bit of length to the path. It's an attractive looking cabinet being reminiscent of phonograph from its day.

do you think would be a good idea to put the karlson slot in each side like the draw in the image attached?

would it improve the reasonance frequency or frequency range?
whats the advantages and disvantages of it?

Attachments

• ezgif-3-18cf85a03f84.jpg
    ezgif-3-18cf85a03f84.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 53
thank you xrk971

as i dont know in depth all the types i was trying to discover what kind of enclosure would fits better so i can concentrate in know more about it to try do understand better this cabinet

and you give me a light saying its a BLH because some things that i read before made sense in the goughs speaker now...

i was trying to see this as TL because of this similar model of a TL...

AQA Bass Box

Attachments

• aqaAlt.gif
    aqaAlt.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It also reminded me of my Flat BIB or FIB speaker which is a BLH with two exits up.

326725d1359323897-terry-cains-bib-fostex-craft-handbooks-fib-asbuilt743522927-jpg

326458d1359206536-terry-cains-bib-fostex-craft-handbooks-fib-01-jpg

Here is the bottom piece:
326561d1359242133-terry-cains-bib-fostex-craft-handbooks-fib-05743522927-jpg

Assembled from the front:
326566d1359242690-terry-cains-bib-fostex-craft-handbooks-fib-06-1901550079-jpg

The Karlson slots will reduce the effective pathlength and bass extension will be lower. For the frequencies involved here I don't think the issue is needing a K aperture on the bass BLH output. The K aperture has more to do with acting as an acoustic lens from 300Hz to 1kHz range.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.