Dayton PS95-8 boombox .. Sub or nah ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys ! ;)

I was about to start building myself a small boombox, out of 2 Dayton audio PS95 speakers.
Got all the parts, plans, etc.

But i found (alone and sad) a Peerless SDS-P830656 speaker, laying around in my basement from an old project. :eek:

And thus, questionning began !
Should i use it in the build ? To help in the lower end ? Or is it more trouble than else ?
And yes, i know, i know, the SDS is no subwoofer.

But it's def better in the low end than the PS95 ... So, hmm, yeah, it might help ?
If so, could anybody help me with the volume and port size ?
I tried winISD, but miserably failed to get anything out of it ... :guilty:

Regardin amp, i got a small Wondom (Sure) 2*15W.

Thanks y'all ! :)

Really depends on your design goals. The PS95s aren't going to have any low end to speak of. The Peerless is no subwoofer, but it will give you something that resembles low end and will be far better than the PS95s alone. Of course, your boombox will be heavier and larger as a consequence. The peerless will need about 15 liters for a vented alignment.

Thanks for the answer ! :cool:

My goal is the best bang for the buck boombox ?
My PS95 were from an old project as well so, so far, all it cost me was the power and amp part.

Now it's all in my possession, my goal is to get the best out of what i have :yes:
And if it fails ... Meh, better luck next time, i won't cry over it, it practically didn't cost anything.
But if i manage to get a cool sound of it, and gather it around during summer time ... I would be as happy as a Quokka :p

Anyway !
15 liters is indeed a LOT for a portable boombox :eek:
From what i've read, for a pair of PS95, i'd need 5,6 liters (0.2 ft³) vented enclosure, which is much more realistic for a portable box.

Any way to get the benefits of the SDS, without tripling the volume of the "portable" boombox ? :fight:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.