DIY ported enclosure with Tang Bang W5-2143 FR driver vs Q Acoustics 3020i and 3090i

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Project goal
To make well designed enclosures with full range drivers for LCR with drivers in the price range of USD150-200 for 3 drivers to use with Marantz NR1510 - 50W/channel @ 8ohm that match the general sound quality that one would get by using the branded Q Acoustics 3020i and 3090i combo and if possible supersede it.

Speaker driver
I've found Tang Bang W5-2143. Reason for choosing this driver is that its 30W @8 ohms, FR with phase plug and has good reviews especially for Mids tonal quality which I think should make it a good center speaker. Since it has a Qts of 0.38 ported enclosure is what I'm thinking. Using WinIsSD to design the enclosure. At the moment sealed Subwoofer to go with them is the plan.

Main question
In terms of tonal quality would a well designed DIY be at least be equal to if not better than the Q Acoustics ?

Last edited:
I have the Q Acoustics Concept 20. I now use a Mark Audio Pluvia 7 with an 8 inch woofer. Even on its own it will knock the spots of the Q Acoustics particularly in the midrange.
I also have a Fostex FE103en in a small bass reflex box and the midrange detail it's faultless. The fostex off axis in the treble drops off and the bass is a bit limited but the midrange is magic. After listening to a good full range speaker the Q Acoustics just sound dull.
I haven't listened to a Tang Band but they seem well regarded. The only thing to research is what people think of its off axis response, otherwise a 4 to 6 inch full range unit in a box of a similar size can cost less and will sound better than the 3020i by a mile. :)

I also have the Q Acoustics 2000Ci centre speaker but hardly used it. I'm just stereo now even for TV. The thing with full range units is the clarity with voice, which for me, negates the need for a centre speaker. If you want a centre speaker then that's why you should pay attention to the off axis response. (Unless its just you watching the TV).

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The W5-2143 is my favorite full range driver that is capable of real bass and great mids and highs. It’s surprisingly under used around here given how good it is. Priced reasonably and well made with good looks and a quality feel with 90dB sensitivity. When in my XKi the bass sometimes has me wondering if the subwoofer is still on.

This will be used as part of a home theater set up so a sealed sub crossed between 80 - 120 is in the picture. If I made a slot ported golden ratio 0.5-6cubic ft tuned to 55-60Hz enclosure would it sound better than the Q Acoustic 3020i in general is my primary interest.

Secondly how close would the golden ratio ported box come close to the overall sound quality of the XKi say 120Hz upwards?

Last edited:
I also own a 5.1 system with the Q Acoustics Concept 20[Front/Rear]+40
The sound is some kind of dull but what I really like about them,

I never had any kind of listening fatigue with the Q-Acoustics.

Compared to a WAW the Qs don't image as well and they are missing the emotions that a good fullrange offers.
If I compare the Qs with any of my selfbuild 2-ways the Qs were always the better speaker especially for longterm listening.
The Qs are not exiting and not as dull as pro monitors.
For me the biggest pro is the capability to play at low volume without missing anything in the music.
Something I never achieved with any of my builds.
Regarding the pricetag I like my Qs und would always go for them again.
To use them as THE reference...no there is more interesting stuff out there...

I'm curious what you are building.​

A little background. In 2016 my Philips Power AW636 bought in 1996 died. After the typical 'a lot or research' I bought a Marantz MCR510 stereo network reciver. Since I had the old Philips 2 way speaker I connected it to the Marantz and was amazed that they sounded pretty good. I thought that if these sound so good new hifi speakers would sound phenomenal. After auditioning 4 brands ranging from USD 750 to 1500 I felt that my existing speakers play well enough for my satisfaction and I use them till date.

Cut to Sep 2020, I helped a friend to narrow down the choice of buying an AVR to a MArantz NR1510 AVR. We are now in the process of getting speakers. From our experiend of the old Philips speakers I felt that we could go the DIY route and build some decent speakers. Proven drivers in a reasonably well designed enclosures in terms of getting the basics correct such as internal volume, material thickness, bracing, port size and length and some fancy 'Golden Ratio' dimensions thrown in we should be good. :)

This is my first DIY but I have a background in Physics and have worked as a sound recordist for 13yrs. I have experience working with recording equipment, building cables, taking technical decisions etc.

On paper, with my skill level, I think its possible to get fairly close to the general sound quality of a 300-400 dollar stereo speaker with this approach. I wanted to know if my thinking is correct and hence the post.

1st build is always difficult and exciting also. Any properly researched DIY project will compete at least 2x or 3x price range products if not more. A full range speaker driver like TB W5 2143 will always excel in midrange but will fall short on extremes of sound spectrum and more so towards low frequencies due its limited X-max. On the other hand less excursion produces less distortion which helps to deliver cleaner midrange with details. A helping woofer will be much usefull to deliver the low end if crossed in the range of 250 to 450 Hertz. A midbass woofer is preferred as it will contribute for the lower midrange below cross over point(160 hertz to crossover point). This will take off the load from the W5 2143 and reduce excursion which will further improve the performance in the midrange. Most people like to bi-amp this approach using an active crossover or mini-dsp, but passive crossover can work also if designed carefully.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.