Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DIY ported enclosure with Tang Bang W5-2143 FR driver vs Q Acoustics 3020i and 3090i
DIY ported enclosure with Tang Bang W5-2143 FR driver vs Q Acoustics 3020i and 3090i
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2020, 12:10 PM   #11
Kevano is offline Kevano
diyAudio Member

A little background. In 2016 my Philips Power AW636 bought in 1996 died. After the typical 'a lot or research' I bought a Marantz MCR510 stereo network reciver. Since I had the old Philips 2 way speaker I connected it to the Marantz and was amazed that they sounded pretty good. I thought that if these sound so good new hifi speakers would sound phenomenal. After auditioning 4 brands ranging from USD 750 to 1500 I felt that my existing speakers play well enough for my satisfaction and I use them till date.

Cut to Sep 2020, I helped a friend to narrow down the choice of buying an AVR to a MArantz NR1510 AVR. We are now in the process of getting speakers. From our experiend of the old Philips speakers I felt that we could go the DIY route and build some decent speakers. Proven drivers in a reasonably well designed enclosures in terms of getting the basics correct such as internal volume, material thickness, bracing, port size and length and some fancy 'Golden Ratio' dimensions thrown in we should be good.

This is my first DIY but I have a background in Physics and have worked as a sound recordist for 13yrs. I have experience working with recording equipment, building cables, taking technical decisions etc.

On paper, with my skill level, I think its possible to get fairly close to the general sound quality of a 300-400 dollar stereo speaker with this approach. I wanted to know if my thinking is correct and hence the post.
  Reply to this post

DIY ported enclosure with Tang Bang W5-2143 FR driver vs Q Acoustics 3020i and 3090iHide this!Advertise here!