Vintage article "A Tuned Pipe for Bass Enhancement" by Raymond Bates

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
from the 1955 Audio Anthology reprint of the original article. (and a very clean looking issue)

Norman C. Fulmer had already published an article (and patent) for an enclosure with tapered terminus.

This article borrows part of Karlson's 15 aperture for the tapered slot exit.

Subjectively the builder seemed pleased :D

It appears to be tuned about center of the EV SP12B speaker's resonance.

I wonder how its response would really look.

Attachments

• BATES_1_1280x.jpg
    BATES_1_1280x.jpg
    607.2 KB · Views: 249
  • BATES_2_1280x.jpg
    BATES_2_1280x.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 250
  • BATES_3_1280x.jpg
    BATES_3_1280x.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 250
  • BATES DETAIL 1.jpg
    BATES DETAIL 1.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 251
  • BATES DETAIL 2.jpg
    BATES DETAIL 2.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 242
since its rear load and direct radiator, there would be no more effect upon the highs than a reflex box. I don't have access to hornresp - maybe GM oe aomw other handy soul would do a sim with a couple of the following

Fane12-250TC, Eminence 12LTA, Celestion K12H-100TC, Celestion K12H-200TC Eminence Beta 12CX, Eminence B102, Nirvana 10 inch, etc.

There's less than 2 cubic foot airspace - a Karlson K12 has about 1.3 cubic foot rear chamber - both appear to be tuned in the low 60's.

Snugged into a corner, the Bates pipe would take up very little space - and might even work well.

(my Karlson K12, depending upon driver, can do some things better than my Klipschorn !- do not be afraid of Karlson or Karlsonator when loaded with appropriate drivers - - run for the hills if a K12 is loaded with a GRS BOFU knockoff. :))

'Kinda'?! 'Knock on wood', stomach problems has somehow managed to evade me even though my eating habits over the decades implies I should have had most of it removed by now. Lifelong respiratory ailments has/is the bane of my existence, though surprised Covid hasn't gotten me [yet] when I've been out shopping, eating at restaurants as soon as they reopened, then quickly shut down again due to one or more workers getting sick.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.