Mark Audio Alpair 11ms Nostromo build

) or Pensil (not quite as low and not as much gain) to get down.

dave

Since you mentioned pensils i was wondering what would be the approximate F3 (in-room) of these with A11MS installed.

Also im planning to use mathaudio room eq on foobar to correct for bass frequencies a bit. Because i never play at 35watts equivalent of listening levels which is the rated power of A11ms. I play at more or less 10 watts. So i believe i wont go close to over-excursion of the cones

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Since you mentioned pensils i was wondering what would be the approximate F3 (in-room) of these with A11MS installed.

In room depends on your room. And F3 is meaningless as far as the ear/brain is concerned (ref Toole). F10 is something like 30-35 Hz which means it should go at leastthat low in your room. Being a room, likely not smoothly thou.

<> room eq on foobar to correct for bass frequencies a bit.

Note that you are really EQing the room, not the speakers.

<> Because i never play at 35watts equivalent of listening

I recently had my SPL meter out and at relatively high SPLs (for me) average power being used was <1w.

rated power

AFAIC a red herring in the context of most home hifi.

over-excursion of the cones

With the arrestors installed in all MA for some time now the driver will give an audble warning when you are pushing them too hard. I have yet to hear what that sounds like.

dave

PS Berly, i have your email. Stefan (at KJF Audio) is making exactly the kinds of flat-paks you are looking for. Shipping might be a bit more UK to Abu Dhabi might be more than India to Abu Dhabi would be, but he has already done all the pre-prep you’d have to pay another flat-pak maker. And it would not be his first.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Some HT amplifiers do. I've never owned a stereo amplifier with a dedicated subsonic filter, other than an older model that had a rumble filter on its internal phono stage.

Yes. LF protection filters on amplifiers today are rare. I have had more than a few vintage units with rumble filters, targeted at TT noise thou, not the unloading of the loudspeaker.

All amps have a HP (unless they are “DC”) it is usually just much, much lower in frequency.

Usually these filters are at least 2nd order, but a simple cap of the right value on the input of the amplifier can produce a 1st order filter.

dave

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Im considering all options of acquiring a frugel horn or pensils in abu dabhi

I wouldnt think twice to buy the flat pack from stefan if i was in the uk especially considering the quality and convenience offered by his kits. But when i factor in the cost of shipping to abu dabhi the entire point of staying budget friendly is gone out of the window.

I believe its a fair point that the other flatpack maker will reproduce the design countless times without any royalty being paid if he gets hold of it.

It would be amazing if stefan can franchise with mark audio distributor in india and sell locally manufactured flatpacks so that the hefty shipping cost can be bypassed. Im pretty sure there will be huge demand.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It doesn’t need to be Stefan.

Royalties on Frugel-Horns so not really exist. Each pair of FHXL or Joan should be generating a $10 donation to diyAudio. Scott & my stake in this are purely to give all those diyers (and hopefully more cottage industries) a boost. Entry costs are minimal.

Ikea has created a market for easy to assemble semi-diy stuff. If one can get off the ground i expect that they could do well. So far Stefan in the UK, and Bob in the US seem to be making a go of it.

dave

Medium Nostromo with single ACA (24v) in stereo RCA mode.

Just built a new ACA amp, and knowing that its output impedance is lower than that required by the Medium box, I've tried some series resistors to increase the impedance. So far it appears that 1.5 ohms is giving the 'biggest' subjective bass output, and I wonder if anyone else has similar experiences that they could share? Thanks.

I have the alpair 11ms in both pensil and fhxl. The only radical difference i have felt is that fhxl has extended bass.

I didnt feel like the mids and higher frequencies are that much affected by cabinets.

The problem you might be facing is related to directivity of the driver. Fullrange driver directivity drops significantly off-axis.

Easy fix is to toe-in until you get the highs to your desired level.

As noted above, unless you have a large amount of damping material in close proximity to the driver (which can case an air mass-load on the moving components, restricting their ability to resonate as intended) then the midband and HF are basically innate to the driver. Diffraction effects notwithstanding, above the lower registers the enclosure's primary role is to provide a solid mounting point for the drive unit. A few minor items to look at which may help a bit in these circumstances (I wish to stress that caveat), or help minimise HF losses in the system:

-Ensure you don't have stuffing in immediate proximity to the driver (as noted above)

-Avoid the use of amplifiers with a rolled-off HF (natch)

-Avoid low capacitance speaker wire with widely spaced parallel conductors, as this will have higher loop inductance and a lower HF corner frequency.