Mark Audio Alpair 11ms Nostromo build

in response to amps,
currently using them on a Onkyo TX-1500. not a lot of dynamics, but is fine for everyday listening. the RH-84 amp is next on the bench, just drilled and punched all the chassis holes...taking the build slow, I want to do a nice layout and not a messy wire nest. the lm1875 is a ebay buy, it has the inductors on the pcb, so i hope its a step up from some... nice punch and dynamics, running on 24-28vdc. it was built by some else and he sold it cheap. the SMSL amp lack low end, but is fine on 3" dekstop speakers.

listened to Peter Gabriel's Security LP( new 180 gram), really nice separation of instruments, and great depth. very happy with the MA11!!!

Jeff

Attachments

• lm1875.jpg
    lm1875.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 534
The Onkyo TX1500 was a decent little receiver. Bottom of the line at the time, 2500 II/4500 II were definitly better. 15W rated IIRC. The RH84 will have. athird the power but will not seeingly have less power, and it will likely sound better as well.

dave

excellent, glad to know....rh84 seems to have always be well regarded. yikes it 20 years old now.....

Jeff

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The A11ms CGR looks just like this but for internal & venting details.

Pluvia11-CGR.jpg

I have some details to finish and then i will post that plan as for free use.

Placing it as you describe may require some anti-baffle-step-correction. ie too much bass. 1st thing i would try with these is open cel foam in the vents. Start with a little and add more until the bass is tamed. Very room dependent and your amp will play a role as well. And taste.

dave

The A11ms CGR looks just like this but for internal & venting details.

dave

Seems there are a few of us who are looking for a next speaker project for our SET amps. I just completed a Tubelab SSE using EL34s and giving around 5W. My current speakers are ff105wk in the milliSize boxes. In my small living room they put out enough volume for me. I am looking to try one of the MA drivers next and was reading this thread with interest. Any other decision points between the CGR and Nostromo besides the front vs rear facing port?

I am actually using an SMSL DA-8s power amplifier to drive my Alpair 11ms speakers. This modern class D pushes them about 40 W/channel both channels driven. The results are so delightful, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed. Those nice looking cabinets seem fairly compact and convenient for such a large driver. I have read that the smaller 7ms will require a larger cabinet around 13 liters. Is a box this big all that necessary or is it really worth it to optimize the bass ?

Seems there are a few of us who are looking for a next speaker project for our SET amps. I just completed a Tubelab SSE using EL34s and giving around 5W. My current speakers are ff105wk in the milliSize boxes. In my small living room they put out enough volume for me. I am looking to try one of the MA drivers next and was reading this thread with interest. Any other decision points between the CGR and Nostromo besides the front vs rear facing port?

I also have a pair of ff105wk speakers. As decent as they are, the alpair 11ms drivers are quite a bit better. They are actually extremely good assuming you source and amplify them correctly along with good interconnects and high quality power cords. The Alpair 11ms drivers will scale up with what you feed them. they are really that good.

I am actually using an SMSL DA-8s power amplifier to drive my Alpair 11ms speakers. This modern class D pushes them about 40 W/channel both channels driven. The results are so delightful, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed. Those nice looking cabinets seem fairly compact and convenient for such a large driver. I have read that the smaller 7ms will require a larger cabinet around 13 liters. Is a box this big all that necessary or is it really worth it to optimize the bass ?

that looks like a nice amp. my smsl is the old SA-93 with a ta2020...showing its age maybe.

I learned about the SMSL DA-8s from Z reviews. He then said it was the best class D amplifier that he had ever heard and he has heard many. It is a lot better than any ageing ta2020 based Amp and it seems to especially like driving full range speakers. It is very clean, clear, and dynamic for its relatively small size. I highly recommend it for the price.

I learned about the SMSL DA-8s from Z reviews. He then said it was the best class D amplifier that he had ever heard and he has heard many. It is a lot better than any ageing ta2020 based Amp and it seems to especially like driving full range speakers. It is very clean, clear, and dynamic for its relatively small size. I highly recommend it for the price.

cool, good to know. I will keep it in mind. thx

Jeff