What have you built -tried for traditional Karlson in smaller sizes ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a "K5" built by a skilled long-distance friend, scaled from the 1960's Karlson K8, and a scrap "K6" made quickly with my unskilled hands

XRK971 has used 0.43 scale K15.

The Karlsonator and XRK971's "XKi" alignments have dominated the small K-coupler arena.

Perhaps there's still use for little Karlson couplers (most likely supplemented with a little subwoofer)

If you tried one - what driver did you employ? What was your design method? How did it turn out?

Attachments

• SCRAPK5ANDSCALEDK5.jpg
    SCRAPK5ANDSCALEDK5.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 270
  • SCRAPK5VENT.jpg
    SCRAPK5VENT.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 271
  • SCRAPK5PA130VSSCALEDK54.gif
    SCRAPK5PA130VSSCALEDK54.gif
    75.7 KB · Views: 263
  • SCRAPK5VSTHEHEAD1.gif
    SCRAPK5VSTHEHEAD1.gif
    72.8 KB · Views: 262
  • SCRAPK5WINGSONOFFZ.gif
    SCRAPK5WINGSONOFFZ.gif
    56.1 KB · Views: 257
Some years back, XRK971 made a 0.35X K15 for B&C'a six inch 6MD44. (see graph)

I need to try a K for for a 6 inch Diysoundgroup coax but would have to be larger with its big magnet and even worse, if used, a B52 chunky compression driver. (over 10lb for both drivers)

here's my 6 cx

svbWLqi.png

Attachments

• 0.35x-K15-6MD44-meas-HD-2 2X tiny.png
    0.35x-K15-6MD44-meas-HD-2 2X tiny.png
    208.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
are you going by "instinct" for the K5 rather than scaling? If scaling - which K are you scaling from and what scale factor ?

I wish Visaton or someone would offer an inexpensive but good fullrange 6 inch driver with reasonably strong motor. Since BG20 sells for less than $40US, there should be something in that price slot with similar motor and construction quality. A K6 could have pretty good sound.

Last edited:
These are K5s that I scaled from original K12 plans (.42). I am now modifying them to accept PA-130s (not a direct fit due to magnet size) and foam core duct al la Xki but to original horizontal vent. I am also extending rear chamber by 3". If I don't like the result I can easily remove the foam core or K slot it.

I would have tried K6 but already had the K5s and thought I would give the PA-130s a try.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Freddi,
Thanks for making this thread. I forgot all about the scaled K for the 6MDN44! That was to be used as a top in a PA system with a sub so did not need any bass below 120Hz. But I recall the sims showed that the K15 scaled small and used on low Qts drivers would give incredible cone control so that you could max out the power and the voice coil thermal limit hit before Xmax hit. That is rare to see except in front loaded horn alignments.

hi X - - wish there were a good cheap 6 inch fullrange for K and hope the SB Acoustics 8 will soon be available and low in price. Is there another K configuration not yet tried? I've seen a fullrange in a tapped type expanding line once.

hi Eddie - how much vent area do you have in the 0.42X K12? PA130 is a good speaker. (thanks for the router bit link)

Upon closer inspection I took liberties with my K5 build. One piece above the vent a la the Dutch K12 but with a horizontal vent and shelf. Also .42 scaling not applied to all dimensions. Plus now adding ducting to port and rear cavity extension. Soooo, not so traditional after all.

Last edited:
Demolition complete, wings removed and shelf edge relieved in center to accommodate front mounting of PA-130. Note horizontal vent above shelf and slanted upper chamber beginning at vent. Next I will extend depth of rear chamber by three inches ( I haven't decided about extending the shelf), add foam core duct to vent then sand and paint exterior. I'll post again after completion.

I have a packaged blue tooth amp on order to power them that XRK linked on another thread. It will be a lot neater than my naked "lunch money amp".

Attachments

• 0919201529a - Edited.jpg
    0919201529a - Edited.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 0919201526 - Edited.jpg
    0919201526 - Edited.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I had forgotten that my second venture into a K-box was based on a figure in a hard copy of a Karlson patent. It was driven by a 10" guitar speaker and would have been a natural for a smoothing stub. I don't remember what happened to it when I gave him the K15. I don't see that figure in the on-line patents.

Attachments

• 1003200019 - Edited.jpg
    1003200019 - Edited.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 89
We didn't really test it. It replaced a typical open backed cab with a Tiny Tiger (Poptronics Meyer) 20W amp in it. It really sounded good compared to the OB but had a better amp too, the Southwest Technical Products MMM 60W kit built amp. The guitar was the Harmony H19 Silhouette. Then when I completed my pair of K12s I gave him the K15 with the Phillips FR 12" replaced with a 12" guitar speaker. It sounded much better but was heavy to transport.

I may have that 10" speaker in a K12 that's stored in the garage. It's facing the wall with stuff stacked on top so I can't see the front.

He took the K15 to college and kids in the dorm came to see what kind of stereo system he had, only to find that it was a guitar amp with a portable radio driving it (no stereo). They were impressed by the K15 cab performance.

Last edited:
looked up your Harmony - -really nice body shape - I always wanted a Supro with similar shape.

Also kinda large ("X15 size"), my Acoustic Control 115BK loaded with EVm16L. sounded really good with a late friend jamming (his love and specialty was playing The Ventures hits. The top was my Alpha Bass.

K12 sounded good to me with Cannabis Rex.

A lightweight but well-braced K12 or even k10 might make a fun and reasonably pottent guitar cabinet.

Here's an OEM Eminence 10 with 56oz magnet and qt ~0.25, mounted in a -.62 scale ("K10 size") K15.

It pretty well covers the bottom end of a regular electric guitar with E about 82Hz

(REW made a nicer looking graph)

KGlDdEq.gif

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.