Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DIY speakers that impressed you compared to production speakers
DIY speakers that impressed you compared to production speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2020, 11:39 PM   #1
wanderer47 is offline wanderer47
diyAudio Member

Default DIY speakers that impressed you compared to production speakers

What were DIY speaker builds that you made that you compared to production speakers and were impressed with how well the sound stood up to the production speaker?

Last edited by wanderer47; 11th August 2020 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11th August 2020, 01:23 AM   #2
Karl71 is offline Karl71  United States
diyAudio Member

My first speaker build did it. A pair of FF85K drivers in oversized cabinets, made from plans I found online in Japanese. I knew nothing about the physics. The treble was amazing. No bass though to speak of, truly. Smoked my pair of B&W DM602S3 speakers. Philip Glass’s piece for solo violin & Bang on a Can’s cover of Brian Eno’s Music for Airports were revelatory; the music hung in the air.

I was sold on single-drivers at that point because of their point-source nature, and, while I didn’t know it at the time, I was enjoying the dispersion of the very small & light cone of the FF85K. I have become an advocate & collector of very small & light-coned single-drivers.

I have since built conventional two-way speakers, but I have always come back to single-drivers. The only two-way alignment I want to try now is a sealed or vented coaxial.
Old 12th August 2020, 04:56 PM   #3
head_unit is offline head_unit  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl71 View Post
My first speaker build did it.
Similar for me-it's why I became a loudspeaker design engineer, I couldn't afford some big Altecs (15 + horn, I forget the model). So I got into building my own as I had woodworking tools. The massive speakers I used in college had 15" pro woofers and horns. 117 dB in my dorm room from a little NAD 3020 playing Rush "Signals"-as I've posted elsewhere that's as loud as I measured Van Halen's 1984 tour from row 30 in Chicago! Nothing commercial was even available like that, and no pro speaker would have fit.

Another DIY design I really like is the Focal Aria 5. You could really hear into the music with those.

Now I'm getting the bug to build some big speakers with a big horn, something smooth to as low as possible, and use Audyssey to EQ the power response droop.
  Reply to this post

DIY speakers that impressed you compared to production speakersHide this!Advertise here!