DIY speakers that impressed you compared to production speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My first speaker build did it. A pair of FF85K drivers in oversized cabinets, made from plans I found online in Japanese. I knew nothing about the physics. The treble was amazing. No bass though to speak of, truly. Smoked my pair of B&W DM602S3 speakers. Philip Glass’s piece for solo violin & Bang on a Can’s cover of Brian Eno’s Music for Airports were revelatory; the music hung in the air.

I was sold on single-drivers at that point because of their point-source nature, and, while I didn’t know it at the time, I was enjoying the dispersion of the very small & light cone of the FF85K. I have become an advocate & collector of very small & light-coned single-drivers.

I have since built conventional two-way speakers, but I have always come back to single-drivers. The only two-way alignment I want to try now is a sealed or vented coaxial.

My first speaker build did it.
Similar for me-it's why I became a loudspeaker design engineer, I couldn't afford some big Altecs (15 + horn, I forget the model). So I got into building my own as I had woodworking tools. The massive speakers I used in college had 15" pro woofers and horns. 117 dB in my dorm room from a little NAD 3020 playing Rush "Signals"-as I've posted elsewhere that's as loud as I measured Van Halen's 1984 tour from row 30 in Chicago! Nothing commercial was even available like that, and no pro speaker would have fit.

Another DIY design I really like is the Focal Aria 5. You could really hear into the music with those.

Now I'm getting the bug to build some big speakers with a big horn, something smooth to as low as possible, and use Audyssey to EQ the power response droop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.