extent volume with hose/tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi good people! I want to install Tang Band W3-871SC in my car on top of the dashboard. The enclosure therefore cant be too big, so I wonder if attaching a tube to the enclosure will work for raising the volume. In my case I would hide the tube in the dashboard. At home such a tube could be hidden behind furniture. For example if closed box I would maybe make an enclosure with 0,5 liter enclosure and to this attach a tube with 1 liter internal volume. Would this equal an ordinary 1,5 litre kabinet?

Cheers!

No one else has chimed in yet so I'll give you my 2 cents.

My gut feeling is that the tube might resonate but if experiment with stuffing it you may be able to pull this off? There might be some weird pressure/impedance thingies happening that are above my pay grade here?

If the .5l enclosure is well stuffed but still leaky you might get some aperiodic effect, enough to get closer to 1l, which looking at winisd should give you a reasonable response.

Thanks Ewollove.

"My gut feeling is..." - Yes. I will try to minimize those negative effects, and of cause not expect state of the arts performance :D

"If the .5l enclosure is well stuffed but still leaky" - Sorry I dont quite know what leaky means. I imagined I had to make fittings airtight, when making a closed enclosure. Is there a middleway where one makes it closed but leaking?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks. I know those vents from some scan speaks I had. So you suggest to make a vented 0,5l without the "hose-extension"? What if I put the vent in the tube/hose and keep it 1,5l - Wouldnt that be an idea?
Sorry my English is rusty.
Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm hoping a more experienced car guy will come in here soon but I think some stuffed tubing could work ok. I've seen tubes used in other designs and the main thing was stuffing (lx mini). I'd give that a go to see if I could extend the bass a little evenly.

Now going off winisd you shouldn't vent that driver unless the volume is far greater than what you have available. So unless someone else has another idea I'd forget about venting it in such a small enclosure.

Also, never apologize for your English, it's better than my Danish ;)

Well with the hose/tube I could make it much larger :). lx mini is noted. edited my prior post while you posted.

I have a feeling your advise is fully adequate. Car guys can be (far from all) a little conventional.
I didnt post in the car section, cause I feel my question is more general.
Cheers!

Greets!

Based on published specs, Yes, you can add a tube and yes, if it flexes, then some sort of stuffing is desirable, otherwise damp to 'taste' and either can be capped off with something fine mesh like paper coffee filters or suitable for straining paint, adding layers to 'taste' ;).

Personally wouldn't make it > than measured [Vas] or published 1.66 L, whichever is smaller, though if there's much vehicle cabin gain, then may not matter if you want it larger for an IB alignment; only one way to know for sure.

GM

Actually the first project is to install said drivers in someone`s tuk tuk - maybe called a cabin-scooter- But later when I have time, I will install a pair in my car. For the tuk tuk i will also build a subwoofer from a spare Seas ep 21 rex h 1116. I will start another thread about that part.

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.