New SBA 8" Full Range driver

hahaha - had a hunch - dropped its specs into David McBeans hornresp offset port TL example from the menu with no changes and :)

Just of curiosity - is this HR showing nearfield output or does it include baffle diffraction loss of low freq?

Attachments

• 8 tl edge.png
    8 tl edge.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
Bunch of friends and I used to diy with fostex, coral, feastrex etc. We reckon the Satori MW16 is the most balanced fullrange driver ever! See its frequency response for proof.

61/2” SATORI MW16P-4 / Paper – Sbacoustics

hmmm... as expected of a 6.5" woofer, it starts beaming at 2kHz.
The sweet spot listening position must be just a few centimetres wide.

It is a very nice driver, but it needs a tweeter.

ricyuyc ,

It looks good in a BR, but looks amazing in a MLTL.
Look at that extension and level. Combine that with the posted FR and it looks killer!

A little pricey, but probably worth it.

So many drivers... so little time! :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.50.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.50.52 PM.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 596
Looking forward to this driver as well. Just checked that a dipole line array with 12 of them would displace close to 30% more air than my current pair of 12" woofers.

I know that in theory smaller units are to be preferred for better HF performance, but this one could maybe do a nice overall result.

Or you can do it like me and do the basic 2x15" per channel for bass.
Double 15" is almost equal to a single 21".
They hardly ever flap about, most of the time it's impossible to see that they move at all.

It has happened that I've turned the system all the way up and run some low freq sweeps just to check if there's something wrong.
Can feel slight vibrations in the chair even at very low volume, despite being placed on the house foundations concrete floor, it's just from sound travelling through the air. I can get very good volume out of even a 6" that *sounds* very compareable, but the feel and presence is completely different.
There's no comparison.

No replacement for displacement = true.

Reactions: 1 user
really not a good idea.

at 8" c-to-c and a bit over that counting in the bezel, you will run into serious combing effect.

Better add another pair of your 12" woofers if you want more spl / less distortion down low.

I know I know :)

smaller FR units will do better dipole pattern (better = over a wider range) as well as less combing effect.

Still looking forward to your experience with them!
Erik

replying to post #66, of course.
Posted FR, plus sim of low end.

Thank, you, understood. It is labeled as midrange.

What is your opinion about the one labeled as midwoofer 61/2” SATORI MW16P-8 / Paper – Sbacoustics ? Is is suitable for MLTL and also for some sub 1000Hz reproduction? Actually, there are 4 of them which are pretty similar is specs:
61/2” SATORI MW16P-8 / Paper – Sbacoustics
61/2” SATORI MR16P-8 / Paper – Sbacoustics
61/2” SATORI MW16PNW-8 / Paper – Sbacoustics
61/2” SATORI MR16PNW-8 / Paper – Sbacoustics

Also, which one of them may be suitable for 10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor instead of Dayton? Price in EU is similar or even better for SBA.

I am long time lurker on that thread, and want to build smth similar with cheap passive XO crossed a bit higher than typical WAW/FAST, may be at 900-1000Hz. Probably SBA drivers will be more cost effective (in my place).

Last edited:
Looking at the response at 30 deg off axis, they all look pretty good.

The MW series looks better for a 10F/RS225 look-alike.
The MR is aimed at midrange mostly.

Will they work as drop in replacement to the RS225? They will probably need their own XO, which I would keep around 800Hz or a bit lower.

The 1000Hz area can be very sensitive to ears and having the hand-off in that area might bring some trouble.

Oops.

Looks like we will have to wait a little for this driver.

Just got a message from my distributor, after I was inquiring how long it would take to get them here.

They called SBA, and it seems there is a production line issue, so, no drivers have been manufactured yet.

So, hope none of you are in a rush.