Full range or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone:) Straight to the question, although it has whizzer, lighter cone, low mms and mmd; there is no information about that on the manufacturer website, not even full t/s parameter and frequency graph. Is it a full range driver?
Though they(Sweton, an indian speaker manufacturer) claim to be market leader in india and overseas, i have no hesitation in saying that this claim is absolutely false.
They will even fail to compete with reputable foreign speaker brands. No chance! But currently i have no other option :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200706-135337~2.png
    Screenshot_20200706-135337~2.png
    290 KB · Views: 641
Anything with a whizzer is intended to cover a broader frequency range - even if it's just a drop ceiling tile mounted PA speaker for background music in a commercial store.

How's it sound? Without someone actually listening to it and writing about their experience, anyone's guess, even if it did have a response graph. Maybe the whizzer allows you to cross to a "super" tweeter versus a regular tweeter.

If you have no other option due to the state of the world, there's 2 choices; be the guinea pig and evaluate it as good or bad, or wait until the better options become available. I'd say the former is more fun than the latter - if you can afford the possibility of a making a mistake.

That possibility is inherent to some degree in all driver purchases for one reason or another. I got lucky when I plunked down $500 USD on the Lii F15s; based on intuition, instinct, a hunch - what someone said. Ultimately, I like the way they sound and feel the purchase was not a regrettable mistake, even though the same money probably could have been spent elsewhere for something even better.

Last edited:
The 8"40WT Hi-Q is referred to by the manufacturer as "FullRange Speaker. Ideal for Cinema halls, Auditoriums, Malls, Public announcement system etc."

There's no specific suggestion that this driver is intended for use in Hi-Fi applications and no reason to doubt its efficacy in its intended applications.

Sweton -Transducers Since 1982 ::Speaker Series - Pro Loudspeakers || Home Loudspeakers

Hi, it's nice to talk to you again :) Sorry but i think you did not read my posts properly. i was saying about the former one (6inch 25W HI-Q, please see the attachment). Actually i want to make a woofer assisted wide-range system(woofer+fullrange). Do you think it's a fullrange driver? The manufacturer did not provide any information in this regard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200706-135337~2.png
    Screenshot_20200706-135337~2.png
    290 KB · Views: 550
Anything with a whizzer is intended to cover a broader frequency range - even if it's just a drop ceiling tile mounted PA speaker for background music in a commercial store.

How's it sound? Without someone actually listening to it and writing about their experience, anyone's guess, even if it did have a response graph. Maybe the whizzer allows you to cross to a "super" tweeter versus a regular tweeter.

If you have no other option due to the state of the world, there's 2 choices; be the guinea pig and evaluate it as good or bad, or wait until the better options become available. I'd say the former is more fun than the latter - if you can afford the possibility of a making a mistake.

That possibility is inherent to some degree in all driver purchases for one reason or another. I got lucky when I plunked down $500 USD on the Lii F15s; based on intuition, instinct, a hunch - what someone said. Ultimately, I like the way they sound and feel the purchase was not a regrettable mistake, even though the same money probably could have been spent elsewhere for something even better.

Though it's not a expensive speaker but who wants to be guinea pig? :rolleyes: But i want to thank you & appreciate your view :)

No, it doesn't help. Nor (obviously) do you want to hear that. Unfortunately, it happens to be a fact. I understand your question perfectly well. You asked if it's a 'fullrange'. The answer is

1/ There is no industry definition for 'fullrange', so manufacturers can call anything they like a 'fullrange' product, and

2/ It doesn't have any meaning beyond the obvious fact that it's a 6in driver with a nominal 25w power rating.

Hi, it's nice to talk to you again :) Sorry but i think you did not read my posts properly. i was saying about the former one (6inch 25W HI-Q, please see the attachment).
I did read your posts carefully. :cool: The similarity of the 6" version with the 8" version leads me to believe it is purposed for exactly the same applications as the 8" version.

Do you think it's a fullrange driver? The manufacturer did not provide any information in this regard.
But they do. The fact that the 6" driver features in the 'Full Range Speaker' section of the manufacturer's catalogue implies that they think it is a full range driver!

I think you really want to know is exactly how full range it is and, as you realise, there's no way of knowing without a frequency response graph.

No, it doesn't help. Nor (obviously) do you want to hear that. Unfortunately, it happens to be a fact. I understand your question perfectly well. You asked if it's a 'fullrange'. The answer is

1/ There is no industry definition for 'fullrange', so manufacturers can call anything they like a 'fullrange' product, and

2/ It doesn't have any meaning beyond the obvious fact that it's a 6in driver with a nominal 25w power rating.

Okay :headbash:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The 2nd driver looks very much like a clone of the old Philips 8” FR.

From looking at them i would chose the 6”, it likely is more extended than the larger one. With the accordian surround it should be good in the midrange, potentially somewhat limited on the bottom. But if you are adding a woofer it is a good place to start i would say.

dave

Edit: looking at all the drivers in the section Galu posted i would still choose the 1st driver you posted as the leading choice.

The 2nd driver looks very much like a clone of the old Philips 8” FR.

From looking at them i would chose the 6”, it likely is more extended than the larger one. With the accordian surround it should be good in the midrange, potentially somewhat limited on the bottom. But if you are adding a woofer it is a good place to start i would say.

dave

Edit: looking at all the drivers in the section Galu posted i would still choose the 1st driver you posted as the leading choice.

So there is still hope :D
yes, my first choice was former one, 6inch.

Not "full range section" but "speaker series" according to the link you posted.
When I went to the home page Sweton -Transducers Since 1982 :: Pro Loudspeakers | Home Loudspeakers and scrolled to the bottom I found 'Full Range Speaker' under the 'Recent Tags' heading. You are correct that it takes you to the 'Speaker Series' page, but all the drivers therein could reasonably be called 'full range' (although certainly lacking in bass extension).

Do you mean that there's no difference between simple speaker and fullrange driver?
What's to stop a simple speaker being classed as 'full range'? After all, they are used in radios to good effect. The question is, how full range is full range? Unfortunately, the manufacturer doesn't tell us!

If the price is right, I would take a chance on the 6" version for your application. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.