First Build: Pensil P11

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
SuperPensil for the A12p) uses the A12p, the one for the A12 uses the A12.

Have you built the boxes? My favourite of the 3 (A12.2p, A12,2pw, P11) are all very different drivers. A12pw is probably my favorite of the lot. It soes start falling off at about 10k, but goes at least an octave lower and has better mid definition (DDR) than the A12p.

The A11ms fits into pretty much the same boxes as the P11 but with greater resolution.

Personally, i would choose A10p over A12p/A12pw for FR use. Goes lower and higher with better detail than A12p.

dave

The a12 plans, The boxes are cut for assembly.
If I understand that correctly, the big box uses the 12 series, of the top 3 you prefer the A12p.
A11ms is an improvement to one of the drivers of the top three above, but not your favorite.
All in all your suggestion is the 10p.
Genuine question, Is a 10p better than a 12p, or vice versa? Doesn’t the driver dictate the box.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...the big box uses the 12 series, of the top 3 you prefer the A12p...A11ms is an improvement to one of the drivers of the top three above, but not your favorite.

… Is a 10p better than a 12p, or vice versa?

No. The 12pw and A12pw look the same, but A12pw is designed to be a “bass helper” but used FR i prefer it to A12p.

A11ms is move evolved, is a metal cone MA with the more extended top, a better FR, but not capable of as much bass.

They are all good.

IMO, A10p>A12pw>A12p, but that is FR, we have only used the A12pw as a helper woofer with 3-4” MA FR as midTweeters — we did do a design & Bernie did a build of A12pw for FR use, which i got to listen to for awhile. The owner loves them.

If you have built SuperPensil/Pensil12.2 (aka 12p) then get that driver. If so, you oviously already decided once. Don’t second guess yourself.

What amp are you using?

dave

vinylkid58, think of it as “analysis paralysis”. The enclosure was built for the 12p, including a center channel Dave shared with me.
There are plenty of “reviews” for each driver, hence my question regarding the 12p vs 12pw. Enter options, and more reading. As Dave mentioned the pw is a slightly different animal, which leads me to the 12p.

Dave, thank you for the clarification. Yes, I was second guessing myself. What do you mean by amo? Assuming it is My audio front end, Marantz pre-processor, emotiva amp (replace with pass f6). Sources are Roku, Rega Planer 1, apple play. I plan on adding a pre-amp between the rega and the f6 in order to bypass the Marantz. Maybe a streamer in the future. Did I answer your question?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.