Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fern roby raven box vs 1 : 1.618 ratios
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2020, 10:40 PM   #11
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
0.7937 : 1 : 1.2599 0.7937 wall=baffle, driver center 0.707up, offset to the side 0.618
Fern roby raven box vs 1 : 1.618 ratios-ricks2-root3-box-shape-png

Not so weird looking IMO

dave
Attached Images
File Type: png Ricks2-root3-box-shape.png (15.6 KB, 149 views)
Old 4th July 2020, 11:14 PM   #12
Richard Ellis is offline Richard Ellis  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
After seeing an Infinity Qb driver arrangement...just what is it about arrangements do they know that I don't?...Somehow, this just looks, "Right", I can't put my finger on it!
This no doubt would all fall down as it were, if it was anything but a point-source full-ranger...now, if I can extend this to an Audio Nirvana 15 classic at 375 liters...
Using multiple drivers would introduce weighting of one driver over another...etc etc...what a mess that would be, stay with a FR!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.....

Last edited by planet10; 4th July 2020 at 11:36 PM. Reason: remove excess quote
Old 5th July 2020, 03:57 AM   #13
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

Rankstranger made a clone of the raven but with seas fa22rcz.
Old 5th July 2020, 06:16 PM   #14
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ellis View Post
After seeing an Infinity Qb driver arrangement...just what is it about arrangements do they know that I don't?...Somehow, this just looks, "Right", I can't put my finger on it!
Hmm, apparently nothing if you at least 'sense' it.

The woofer is at a max baffle/box fundamental [max gain], the tweeter is apparently at its max external eigenmodes null in both planes [adding a virtual acoustic damping 'chamber'], so with a 'FR' driver it needs to be centered on a sufficiently large baffle of whatever shape to get the desired polar response with the rear in an end loaded TL/whatever.

Already looking forward to your solution, hopefully with comparisons to typical speaker box configurations.

GM
Old 7th July 2020, 09:13 PM   #15
Richard Ellis is offline Richard Ellis  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Looking at the likes of the venerable L-100 & its studio counterpart, there seems to be no rhyme or reason on driver placement. This random driver placements can be seen in the seventies series of loudspeakers. Newer times seem to have brought out some thought, an inkling of where drivers "should" be located. By the writings we have all read, spacing according to crossover frequencies started showing up...then we had offsets showing up, likely from baffle step mathematics.
Your notation of "...woofer at...'max gain'" I'm guessing applies to my "design" and/or the Infinity Qb...but the factory preferred Infinity option was the rather cool looking stands...which would null out any "hooking" effect by not using the floor as part of the baffle.
Myself doing some preliminary work on the baffle-step programs, the centering of a full-range had awful results, each panel being the same distances seemingly reinforced & added to the errors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boston acoustics.jpg (9.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg JE labs OB.jpg (6.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg EPI_Stat_450_Speakers_Web.jpg (139.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Realistic_Optimus-7_Stereo_Speakers_web.jpg (213.3 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Richard Ellis; 7th July 2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 7th July 2020, 09:29 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

My comments are based not only on the baffle's, but the cab's [room] nearly identical internal eigenmodes.

The baffle's will be lower though due to the baffle's [pipe] WxD end corrections.

GM
Old 7th July 2020, 10:26 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ellis View Post
Looking at the likes of the venerable L-100 & its studio counterpart, there seems to be no rhyme or reason on driver placement.

Your notation of "...woofer at...'max gain'" I'm guessing applies to my "design" and/or the Infinity Qb...but the factory preferred Infinity option was the rather cool looking stands...which would null out any "hooking" effect by not using the floor as part of the baffle.
Myself doing some preliminary work on the baffle-step programs, the centering of a full-range had awful results, each panel being the same distances seemingly reinforced & added to the errors.
Somewhere there was a thread that dealt with the math of these types of driver layouts, but didn't save it.

Well, I quoted your Infinity Qb quote.......

Boundary gain is a mirror image phenomenon, so totally separate from driver/box eigenmodes.

Indeed! No 'seemingly' about it.

A [super] tweeter's pass-band OTOH is high enough that combined with its sealed rear chamber this summed baffle null just adds some minor pressure to its front side.

GM

Fern roby raven box vs 1 : 1.618 ratiosHide this!Advertise here!