Modified CBT24

I did the wiring according to the pdf you posted in your build thread, with 8 ohm and 25 ohm resistors.

Yeah, I will try to install everyting first and then glue the baffle, but I will try it with one speaker and make the next wireharness once that is complete, would be boring to have to remake both if I feel the wires are too short.

Made the front baffles also now. Now it is just the hard stuff left, making the finish look nice:p

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 213
hka,

Progress is being made.

Are those plastic grill anchors in the upper corners of your baffle?

I would be interested to follow how you implement the grill frame as I may add a grill to my arrays. I have been thinking of using extruded metal pieces (akin to screen window frames) but I haven't worked out the details. I have used magnets in the enclosure body in the past to attract the metal frames with either steel washers or properly polarized magnets glued to the frame.

Jim

Last edited:
Instead of a 4-way I can use an additional 3-way, I made this (see attachment) before I got the presentation from you Jim that showed how Don Keele made it.

Yeah, removable rear baffle adds unnecessary complexity, I meant that I would assemble the wire harness and put it in the enclosure before gluing the baffles in place :)

Do you know what your decibel shading is for each of the three banks?

Attachments

• cbt-36-circular-arc-line-array-loudspeaker-8.jpg
    cbt-36-circular-arc-line-array-loudspeaker-8.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 226
Concerning the weighting networks for Keele's (Dayton Audio full range driver CBT24) and my Modified CBT24 version:

The weightings are the same levels (see hka post just above). But the drivers are not the same between these two designs. Keele's design uses a P-E 16 ohms driver while my design uses the 4 ohms
SBA65 unit. See my thread for the weighting network diagram for my version.

Bradley's diagram is for another CBT design (perhaps Keele's two-way CBT for an earlier kit offered by P-E).

Last edited:
hka,

You will be impressed with the pair of arrays. What I like about my units is that within my listening room the sound is essentially the same as I move from side to side across the room--nearly constant directivity. Move from front to back within the room and you will hear nearly the some volume level--sound fall off is only 3 dB per doubling of distance. Furthermore, with the full range drivers provide near constant frequency coverage as well. CBTs may not be perfect speakers for everyone but they are what I call whole room transducers.

Thus we have even coverage with no sweet spot at any location--left-right, up-down, front-back. Yet when you try a song with musical sound staging and side to side stereo ping-pong effects the sound is correct and you will enjoy it anywhere within the room. With these CBTs you eliminate floor reflections as it is a ground plane array. Plus ceiling reflections and even wall reflections are minimal.

Bottom line is that if you wanted a pin-point sweet spot speaker then these arrays are not your cup of tea. But if you want more natural sounding music then this is your ticket.

Jim

Last edited: