Fane 12-250TC or 15-300TC in a 100 litre box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I recently picked up a nice set of vintage looking cabinets. They are mahogany veneered 18mm MDF and have the dimensions 96x48x29cms.

Having only a single driver hole with a small port I am looking at both the Fane 12-250TC and 15-300TC. I don't mind doing internal mods such as blocking the port up if need be.

Does anyone know which one would be better in this application?

What is the size of the port, because that determines the port tuning.

100L sealed should give you an F3 of 58 and an F6 (more important of sealed boxes) of 46Hz with the 12-250TC, for the 15" it will be worse (F3 of 64Hz and F6 of 54Hz). I would stick with the 12" and seal the port.

Attachments

• 12vs15-100L.PNG
    12vs15-100L.PNG
    61.7 KB · Views: 197
Thanks for that. The port is 50mm wide by 30mm deep but can be altered if needed. As you said though a sealed box may work better due to the volume.
I did have a feeling the 12" would be better of the two but it is always hard to get out of that train of thought that more inches means more bass.

Before you make a definitive choice (sealed vs. BR) test the box as is and maybe you like it. If using a lot of power (200W) maybe you have port noise, if not use the 5 cm port you have that you can also adjust later for shorter port lenght or for a different diameter. Various alignments will give plenty of choices together with the sealed options and different values of "Q". (Example is for a bigger 150L volume BR)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200529-133737~2.png
    Screenshot_20200529-133737~2.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Before you make a definitive choice (sealed vs. BR) test the box as is and maybe you like it. If using a lot of power (200W) maybe you have port noise, if not use the 5 cm port you have that you can also adjust later for shorter port lenght or for a different diameter. Various alignments will give plenty of choices together with the sealed options and different values of "Q". (Example is for a bigger 150L volume BR)

When i try to model that, i got a little more bass extention, but it start to get to high in port velocity (+17) from 2w on so port noise will be present, and the bass extention is very little. I don't think it's worth it. But you can try to mount the driver in the existing box and test it yourself before you seal the port if you wish, it won't cost nothing but a bit time.

It all relates to the power uses. A sealed SPEAKER works with 40/50 watts @Xmax. A port calculation for a BR <16.9 m/s @maxW is about 4x ports 7.5cm diam. You can't use all this power because of limits at 20Hz for Xmax. But for normal listening less than or 3 ports 7.5/23cm (d/l) is more than enough calculated in a 108 Liter/35 Hz or Onken type.
YouTube

Last edited:
How do you all get 10 watts into it without it sounding like the singer is gargling ?

I owned the 250tc.

With enough eq, it sounded fine, until maybe 90db.
That is maybe 1 watt.
That’s classic rock, like Led Zeppelin, stuff like that.

Run through a receiver at 150hz, you can go all the way up to clipping.

My thoughts were to try it ported and sealed as it is already there, as you lot have said nothing to lose except time.
I will be able to fine tune them as they will be running trough a DSP and sometimes a sub. I do however want to get these boxes to sound the best they can as they will occasionally just be used with an amp alone.

I think I am swaying towards the 12" now and do want to try to keep to a full frequency driver just for simplicity.

I will say it is definitively one of my favorites for the price (250tc).
Sealed 3f3 in golden ratio box, on floor, it needed eq for my smily face listening preference, and needed more help under 100hz too.

Sad that it is hard to find this side of the pond.

Eq out the hump 1-4khz, then sit a bit off axis, eq it to your taste.

That way, you have a larger listening area.

Having a setup where only 1 chair sounds best is frustrating.

Someone else (england ?) ran these for dj parties, i think 2 in a box run wide open with a sub.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.