Tang band w8-2145 vs Alpair 11ms vs alpair 10. 3

Hey guys

Im in a great dilemma in choosing between these drivers for a build of mine. I would like to have feedback from whoever has experience from these drivers.

I want to build a single driver speaker and be happy with it.

By "be happy with it" what i mean is it should have the most imaging, clarity and natural enveloping bass (not the glass shattering bass from sub)

I do not want to have a sub to enforce the lf region but want the fr driver to handle it.

Use is mostly music but occasionally some movies as well. But music is top priority.

Music genre (soft rock, jazz, intrumentals, r&b, and sufi) basically not very artificial bass heavy genres

Coming to drivers

Tand band w8-2145
Looks good on specs ,fs of 40 hz (in a ml-tl can get down to 35hz)
8 inch driver. So the bass extension is a more believable figure for me.
Love the bass coming from them (video on youtube
YouTube )

Alpair 10.3
Well accepted driver among audiophiles
Fs around 38 looks impressive
Love the mids coming from them (i watched some recordings on YouTube)

Alpair 11ms on FH-XL
New and more advanced driver
But not much reviews on the web or videos to assess the sound signature.
Xmax higher than all of the above drivers (will it help in bass performance..?)
Fs is around 43hz. In fhxl can be around 40hz
Hence im concerned that if it will have adequate bass to meet my needs.
Cant simulate in winisd because winisd auto-calculation doesnt coincide with specs published on mark audio site. Keeps giving error whenever i try to add it. (yes i input the parameters in the order recommended by winisd manual)

I really wish to try 11ms. Mark fenlon talks very passionately about this ms series. Makes me feel it should be better sounding than older drivers. And generally i love the mids coming from mark audio drivers.

the issue is it's not like if i dont like i can swap with another driver. Cant afford to do that.

So basically it all burns down to one question will the 11ms with significantly higher xmax have sufficient resultant bass in room like the w8-2145.

Thanks in advance to all who participate in this thread.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have not heard that TB only the pricier ones. Kinda coloured and overpriced. I much prefer the A10.3/A10p.

I have only compared stock A11ms to A10.3eN (EnABLed). The A11ms does a lot of things very well. The EnABLed A10.3 out images it, something i expect will be fixed when i get teh A11ms does up.

Both get down to about 35 Hz un FHXL.

Going with stock drivers i would choose A11ms.

dave

Bass in room ?

3 x 8" can work across the front (thinking center channel?).

But, 8" has only enough dispersion for 1 pair of ears at 7’, 2 at 12’ or maybe a couch at 12’.
And it had to be tilted back exactly right.
I sit 7’ away........

I like my 2145 but I have not played with smaller drivers.
And I need baffle step (low corner) to balance out its increasing response, but for an 8”, it seems flattest 1-4khz. If I had a bass knob centered 200hz or so, maybe I could totally vouch for it. I’m about to order some inductors to start playing with it.

Even as a single speaker under the tv acting like a center channel, it needs bass boost to me, but I‘m a bass head.

The more I’m at this stuff, the more I am agreeing with bob brines.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave for your precise reply. Just what i was looking for.

35 hz is more than enough for my needs as im currently using a vintage canton karat 2 way with f3 of 36hz and i was happy with except for staging and fastness.

Is there anyway to aquire the enAble version of 11ms soon and get it shipped to dubai. I would love to have a pair.

If not the only ones i can have is stock for both 10.3 and 11ms. If then i would stick with 11ms.

Im still only in the planning stage of the build And it might take at least 2-3 months to get back home for a few days (thanks to corona��) so may be by that time the enAbl version of 11ms can be available for purchase.

Thank you Norman for the reply

I kinda get an idea.
As i said the things i liked about the tb's where the bass response. But i found that mids of alpairs was much faster and accurate (which i really care for).
So if alpairs can reach 35 hz as dave said it would much better for me to stay with alpairs.

And im not bass headed so i think i will be satisfied.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is there anyway to aquire the enAble version of 11ms soon and get it shipped to dubai. I would love to have a pair.

It would be possible except for the soon part. I have 3 pair of copper set aside to treat 1 pr for myself, plus 3 other pairs i will sell treated (only makes sense for Canadians) or untreated, and 5 pair of Silver, likely a similar scenario, i only need to keep 1 pair.

I would encourage anyonw with any manual skills to learn to EnABL their own drivers. It is fairly well documented and i am happy to help as much as i can.

dave

As a minor point WRT data entry, most manufacturers round some values fractionally, and software also often uses one of several different calculations to extrapolate figures from existing information entered. So you often get fails from minor differences in one or the other. I don't generally use WinISD, but unless something has changed since I last used it, I suggest you enter: Fs, Re, Sd, Qe, Qm, B*L & Xmax (same as Xmech in the MA units) and let it calculate the rest. You should then have a full usable data set.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I hear a lot about this, but i can't find no documentation or other info on how to do this. Can you point me in the right direction for this?

This post and the 3 following posts. You will have to search the thread for Bud’s yap test to know where to put the rings. For drivers i have done (like the A10.3) i am happy to help with the size of the ring-set templates i use.

EnABL - Listening impressions & techniques

dave

Reactions: 1 user