Your favorite 3-4” fullrange driver

Your favorite 3-4” fullrange driver

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A nice driver for sure Scott...... but do you have any faith in Tang Band’s measurements?.......I’ve read most DIYers find independant measurements look NOTHING like TB’s?

The off axis response isn’t a concern as i’ll Be doing critical listening on axis in the nearfield but good observation. Looking at the Visaton B80.....that driver has crazy good off axis response.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In what respect, on what baffle, in what sort of enclosures (and/or with no enclosure), with any cabinet fill?

Decware DNA horn

Have you painted on these drivers?

Not worth the effort. Besides being coloured the pair is not all that well matched. Often the case with the TB drivers i have had thru here.

If someone wants them i’d be happy to see $50.

dave

Does Clio lie? (..if anything it's often a bit more "harsh" than reality.)

Still, could be cherry-picked. (..and yeah, could well be a TB employee.)

Here is Tim's results with the 3" (and I'm expecting the lower-end of this 4" to be better, it is a larger driver after all):

Attachments

• 1878_RawHarm.png
    1878_RawHarm.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Since Geddes posted his distortion experiment results i pay little attention to measured distortion. Not duplicated yet, but it points to the drunk looking for his keys under the streetlight (in the nite) and answers when asked if he lost his keys there he says no, but i can see here kinda thing.

If that is the case, Clio may not lie but it doesn’t tell us anything.

dave

But measurements could be misinterpreted ....
So much easier to just talk about it without anything to back it up.

:D

And not to bolster Planet’s position, but yes.......many of the most popular, iconic and beloved speakers over the decades of hi fi have measured horribly!.....and yet?

In my case though, LOL....they matter as I need a flat response. I need reasonably low harmonic distortion as an identifier of where and when power compression begins....but I don’t fret it over the entire frequency spectrum.....outside of the 500-10k passband, HD becomes almost a meaningless measure on it’s own. I get a kick outta guys discounting a driver because of a breakup mode at 20k that propagates as HD at 15k.......other that some 13 year old fledging audiophile, NOBODY is gonna detect that

In your case, I'd simply get the 10F and be done with it. It has the measured results to back it up and simply is a good performing and sounding driver. How can you go wrong with that one... It will be excellent as a mid in a 3 way, it has enough going for it to act as a full range driver. The IR and FR both show it's honest.
No frills, just a driver that does what it needs to do.

Looking more and more like the 10F is the right choice.......and was high on my list from the start.

Not sure if in fullrange mode I should wire in a HP filter around 200hz......switch circuit would be complex to have it removed from the circuit when in 3way mode.....would be much easier to just setup an EQ plugin on the main buss and engage it when in fullrange mode though.

10f is very good (in all its variations), but again - linear. (..it also has a fair bit of distortion below 400 Hz.)

You really need to model any candidate on a baffle simulator.

"Flat" very likely isn't going to be achieved with a flat response from the driver without correction.

Last edited: