Mark Audio drivers? Questions I hope am not repeating a post?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening and I hope all of you are staying safe and healthy. I have a few questions that I hope have not been answered already? I am looking to build full range speaker for T.V. duties and low back round music. So here are the drivers am looking at?

1. Alpair 7 and 7MS and 7p and pluvia seven HD 4's and the sevens PHD 4's.

2. Alpair 11MS and pluvia 11's.

I know there is a lot between these drivers as I could guess not all drivers sound the same. I did have a pair of 3 inch blue cone driver years ago. It sound awesome in the mid-range but the highs sounded like it was missing sparkle on top and the bass well it's a 3 inch driver. I have never heard anything new from Mark Audio in years. I am looking at all of these drivers I listed. I need help with the sound and characteristics of his driver's like the M11 means Mono suspension. Does it really make a difference in sound to the other newer metal cones used by mark audio? Also are they bright sounding like other metal cones I have in the past sound like tin cans? Well please let me know? Am kinda excited to start a new project for my bed room and the T.V. Also how are the new paper drivers sound? Thanks Jeff

attachment.php

I use the Alpair 7 in gold for 3 little speakers for my living room TV and they sound amazing in a pretty basic setup.

Attachments

• 3-A7-HT.jpg
    3-A7-HT.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 332
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Good evening and I hope all of you are staying safe and healthy. I have a few questions that I hope have not been answered already? I am looking to build full range speaker for T.V. duties and low back round music. So here are the drivers am looking at?

1. Alpair 7 and 7MS and 7p and pluvia seven HD 4's and the sevens PHD 4's.

2. Alpair 11MS and pluvia 11's.

I know there is a lot between these drivers as I could guess not all drivers sound the same. I did have a pair of 3 inch blue cone driver years ago. It sound awesome in the mid-range but the highs sounded like it was missing sparkle on top and the bass well it's a 3 inch driver. I have never heard anything new from Mark Audio in years. I am looking at all of these drivers I listed. I need help with the sound and characteristics of his driver's like the M11 means Mono suspension. Does it really make a difference in sound to the other newer metal cones used by mark audio? Also are they bright sounding like other metal cones I have in the past sound like tin cans? Well please let me know? Am kinda excited to start a new project for my bed room and the T.V. Also how are the new paper drivers sound? Thanks Jeff

I have the Alpair 7P and 7MS and the Pluvia 7PHD. I much prefer the P7PHD over the others. They are more "musical" and accurate to my ears anyway. The MA site shows the A7P as being discontinued and recommends the P7PHD as the replacement. Maybe you can get the A7P at a discount because of this? Any of these 3 models will be just fine for TV and back-ground. For critical music listening; The P7PHD is very hard to beat (it DOES roll off the highs so you may need to take that into consideration). My 2 cents worth...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
P7HD is an evoluvion of the A7.3 (my favorite so far), we might assume the P7PHD a development of A7p (but supposedly with FR adjusted for Japanese tastes like the CHN 70).

I have both unheard awaiting audition. Same with A7ms, but having heard the A11ms, it promises even better mid/top and i will be using it in one of our big WAW (as long as it does not fall on its face).

1. Alpair 7 and 7MS and 7p and pluvia seven HD 4" and the sevens PHD 4".
2. Alpair 11MS and pluvia 11s.

The P7 is voiced much like the A7.3 but is more robust with less capability in terms of DDR/detail. The A11ms outperforms the P11. (That said i have a pair of P11eN ready to move on cheap).

Do note that, unless in one of the big boxes where the box dominates (Pensil, FHXL) the 4” A7ms & P7 go lower than the larger siblings. How important that is depends on where you bringing the subwoofers in.

dave

They should be called copper. the MA gold was a very different colour.

Chris & i did a similar HT system with A6.2p (the 3” driver mentioned earlier. it is actually 3.5”). The A6p (and A10/12p) have what i call avintage top end, which some feel sound lacking up top and which some love.

dave

Yes Dave I had the A6p drivers and the highs sounded rolled off but the mid-range and voices sound very natural. Jeff

I can only comment on the 7MS as I do own them and have them in a pensil cabinet. They do sound nice and warm to my ears, not harsh or trebley at all. They have a nice sound signature where you can just sit back and listen for hours

I have never heard anyone say that medal drivers sound warm in character. I only knew of paper drivers and the vennia acoustics Bach which I had years ago to sound warm. They use a P.P. cone made by Seas. Thanks Jeff

I have never heard anyone say that medal drivers sound warm in character. I only knew of paper drivers and the vennia acoustics Bach which I had years ago to sound warm. They use a P.P. cone made by Seas. Thanks Jeff

I know it's quite surprising, especially considering their size. For some reason you just assume they're going to sound on the tinny side.

If you prefer a brighter sound I'm not sure if these are for you. I haven't heard them properly in a while, but I've got them back out of storage now so I'll have to update you on those trebles

My gut would say go with the P7HD's. They are pretty similar to the Alpair 7.3 (I agree with dave they are my favourite of the ones I have heard).

I didn't love the newer 7ms, and the 10's and 11's are quite big physically.

I haven't found I need a subwoofer to enjoy movies with the Alpair 10.2's and actually find myself turning volume down with the new tiny CHN-50's but thats more for the neighbours (I live in a flat). But I do feel full rangers are a worthy compromise and its hard to ask a driver to try and do 40hz - 20Khz, so if you can XO to a sub and take off a few octaves then the driver is freed to do what it does best, midrange and trebble.

On a side note, the newer 7's all use the same frame, so provided your cabinet was suitable you could swap in and out different ones, 7ms / p7, p7HD and the paper variations.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My A10.2 are in 8 litres (>), choosen for a butterworth alignment. The A10.2 is the Mark Audio with the lowest sealed (and BR) extention, followed by the EL70/Pluvia 7, with the new CHN110, CHR120 possibly enterin ginto that contest.

I use them with a 2.1 plate amp (tweaked to sound decent) with an SDX7eN.

Cabinets more utilitarian than Mt Timbre's

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
My gut would say go with the P7HD's. They are pretty similar to the Alpair 7.3 (I agree with dave they are my favourite of the ones I have heard).

I didn't love the newer 7ms, and the 10's and 11's are quite big physically.

I haven't found I need a subwoofer to enjoy movies with the Alpair 10.2's and actually find myself turning volume down with the new tiny CHN-50's but thats more for the neighbours (I live in a flat). But I do feel full rangers are a worthy compromise and its hard to ask a driver to try and do 40hz - 20Khz, so if you can XO to a sub and take off a few octaves then the driver is freed to do what it does best, midrange and trebble.

On a side note, the newer 7's all use the same frame, so provided your cabinet was suitable you could swap in and out different ones, 7ms / p7, p7HD and the paper variations.

I agree with the above comment about the A7MS; they just didn't do it for me either. So far; I am happiest with the P7PHD over all other MA drivers I've tried. Some of this DOES obviously come down to personal listening preferences. I'm glad there ARE many different choices; keeps my "what if" juices flowing for the next project (a never ending desire for perfection in every price range)...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.