Super Pensil 12 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Received my drivers, did a "rough" layout of cabinet material needed and have 2 4x8 sheets of Baltic birch ordered.
To do:
Decide on what veneer
Binding posts
Outriggers
Stuffing.
This will be a far easier baffle then I am used to as there is only one driver.
Really looking forward to getting into this groove again as it has been a while.
Thanks to you guys for providing me the opportunity and the information to be able to do this.
:worship:

Attachments

• drivers.jpg
    drivers.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 683
Honestly, the footprint of the Supers is not one that I think really necessitates outriggers, although maybe a slightly wider plinth plate with recessed spacer to give a shadow line.
I’ve done with all my floorstanders for a while now, and find it adds a nice little aesthetic touch - and is about the only place I’ll use MDF.

Hey, congrats in advance.:) What thickness material did you order? The reason I ask is the 12p requires quite a deep rebate to flush mount the driver, so even with 18mm ply, there's not a whole lot left to screw into. My pair have a 24mm thick front baffle, laminated from 15mm + 9mm material.

Chrisb built nice little stands for my pair, and the enclosures.

jeff

Honestly, the footprint of the Supers is not one that I think really necessitates outriggers, although maybe a slightly wider plinth plate with recessed spacer to give a shadow line.
I’ve done with all my floorstanders for a while now, and find it adds a nice little aesthetic touch - and is about the only place I’ll use MDF.

You are probably right in the fact that they do not require them, I have hardwood floors and need to move them to clean the floor every once in a while though.
What I have now works out quite well for that.

Hey, congrats in advance.:) What thickness material did you order? The reason I ask is the 12p requires quite a deep rebate to flush mount the driver, so even with 18mm ply, there's not a whole lot left to screw into. My pair have a 24mm thick front baffle, laminated from 15mm + 9mm material.

jeff

Funny, was just looking into that tonight.
The BB I have available is pretty much standard .75" or 18mm.
I like the idea of a thicker baffle anyway, thanks for the heads up will look into that, appreciated

jeff

That feels like a lifetime ago - could you snap a photo of the stands, I'd forgotten about those entirely.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have the plans downloaded and have been looking at them.
They will be built as well as can be from those prints.

DO have a look at the suggested brace in the original Pensil 12. It is the only one that has such in the drawing. Because it is hard to do Mark asked that it not be included in any of the drawings as he did not want to scare anyone off. But they are really needed IMO, and the addiiton of a crossing brace (below the driver) to brace the sides is also recommended.

Now the EnABL thing is new to me.

It is quite controversial, at least in many who have not heard it — how can those spots make any significant difference?

The receipe for doin git is freely available, but practise is recommended first on drivers that are not so dear.

Jeff’s A12PeN (from here if you want to see more examples):

A122PeN-nat-wBlue.jpg

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.