Good quasi FR 2 inch?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Can you recommend any 2» semi fullrange drivers? I am thinking about splitting at 300 Hz or so to a sub.

A 2” might be a bit small to get to 300 Hz comfortably, and i still take to heart (as old as the report is) Zaph’s conclusion that none of the many 2” he tested were anywhere near as good as many 3” units. Quite a few more to choose from too. I have my favourites.

How small a box do you need? Very small — and maybe lower price are the only potential advantages.

And with an XO at 300 Hz you will find few subwoofers that reach high enuff to adequately eacjh 300 Hz — you need a woofer that goes up to at least 1.5k and higher would be better. The SDX10 might be a sub that does meet tha criteria — althou i woulduse a midBass coupler between the FR and the subs.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That would be my 1st choice. A5.2 is little different (different VC mostly for marketing reasons for the Japanese market). CHN-50 would be a lower budget alternative. KJF audio is probably the closest source.

Do note that the colour names are left over from Gen 1 drivers, when they actually had those colours. They are now better described as copper & silver.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A WAW is a growth on the FR concept, and if well done, give up very little vrs a more typical multiway, but still retain the FR magic.

We cross the FF85wk (and A5.2/3) at 250 Hz in Tysen V2, but the passive ended up at 450 Hz.

tysenV2-passive.jpg

I do need to take new pictures, being finished they are now prettier (note that A5.2/3 will drop right into that box althou the passive will not be right). A seperate small 5.2/3 box (or FF85wk) and add woofers later. I have a number of helper woofers to go along with our small uMar-Ken/uFonken.

In fact downstairs i am running a set of uFonkens and using an empty box as a stand, still neeing to install drivers to use as a helper woofer.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.