trying to clone zu audio soul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Scott, what is better about the Monacor's motor?

Never say never about the Fane, I did some extensive EQing with DSP and I'm very pleased with the result. It has multiple resonances starting at 750Hz, it would be less great if passive filtering were required.

The Sica 12 Cx 3 CP is another 12" coax on my list, as it has a proper plastic horn, thus the HF response is less ragged. Can be bought for 220€/pc, about same as the aforementioned from Monacor and Celestion. Manufacturer recommended XO is 1,6kHz.

Generally the higher order distortion products were slightly lower on the Monacor when I measured them, notably at higher drive levels. I also like the slightly higher damping & lower Fs of its main cone & tweeter. Name your poison though, if you want a current production, well-priced 12in coax, they're both worth considering.

Sorry, I've already said never. ;) Humour aside, I know the Fane has many ardent fans, and power to them all: I'm very glad they have something they are so happy with. Unfortunately it does not meet my requirements.

Last edited:
Regarding the Monacor, I'll bet one Euro, that the dip centered around 6kHz will be less, if some foam or low density paper was glued around the horn mouth.
You mean, like the BMS 12CN680? :)

03d665f835.jpg

With the Monacor 312CX, the 6k dip isn't visible under angles, so I also don't think it is a concern.

The PA coaxes I have seen so far all have ragged response from the midrange up, it seems not so easy to design a coax that doesn't have 5 or even 10dB on-axis peaks in the passband.

Related thread on PA coaxials:
Great sound from PA Coaxial?

Long live the generously sized paper cone! :cheers:

You mean, like the BMS 12CN680? :)

Long live the generously sized paper cone! :cheers:

No, 312CX has no horn attachment like the BMS, one would have to cut away the dust cap to really know what is going on. Some reflexion/diffraction it surely is. As Scottmoose says, it is not that critical, I have not quite so wide dip at 7kHz due to mismatched throat. I will try to fix it but it sound quite ok as is...

I say long live the undersized paper cone, 0.7g ;)

No, 312CX has no horn attachment like the BMS, one would have to cut away the dust cap to really know what is going on. Some reflexion/diffraction it surely is.
Sure, and that's why I was looking at units like from BMS or Sica, with smooth horns where you can see what's going on.

I say long live the undersized paper cone, 0.7g ;)
Oh, I didn't know that you are a headphone listener. :p

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You could try the Beta 12CX from Emminence. It has a small aluminum “horn” for the CD and you can remove dustcap and mount your own full range driver or a dome tweeter and pass wires through. I have done this with a 3D printed tweeter holder that fits. The Qts is close enough for an aperiodic foam plug box. It sounds decent too as a driver. Nothing too annoying.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ah yes, the Eminence Beta ...CX, they have standard 1-3/8" mounting threaded holes intended for compression drivers.
What you describe may work with a lot of drivers. It needs some boldness to do, though...

Anyone knows where Zu get their drivers?

Really no harm done by removing mesh dustcap. It looks kind of cool actually. Performance may be even better.

Really no harm done by removing mesh dustcap. It looks kind of cool actually. Performance may be even better.

Like this? This should be a Eminenice-made 10" coax:
Omnes-Audio-CX10-2-7157.jpg

Sorry @Scottmoose, yes you wrote already that the Zu drivers are from Eminence. Thank you.

The coaxials with smoothest response are from KEF, but they're in a different league altogether. Largest they have is an 8". Can be bought as spare part if you have a serial number of a box...

Thanks Peter, I get that. Also, thanks for the info that a Visaton FRS5X (right?) may be mated to a 2" throat horn. It's very popular driver, and at about 9€/pc there's room for fancy ideas! :) There are some custom DIY constructions on the webs. Would be better for me if it was louder than it is, though...

The similar Visaton TW6NG cone tweeter boasts 91dB, so two or more of them may compete with a PA bass, but then you have to live with a closed back tweeter (re-radiation from behind which I'd rather not have) and the dispersion trouble of several units.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Like this? This should be a Eminenice-made 10" coax:
Omnes-Audio-CX10-2-7157.jpg

Sorry @Scottmoose, yes you wrote already that the Zu drivers are from Eminence. Thank you.

The coaxials with smoothest response are from KEF, but they're in a different league altogether. Largest they have is an 8". Can be bought as spare part if you have a serial number of a box...

Yes, now make a custom tweeter mount that slips into that throat and you have yourself a coax driver with either a fullrange (for a FAST /WAW) or a small dome tweeter.

Thanks Peter, I get that. Also, thanks for the info that a Visaton FRS5X (right?) may be mated to a 2" throat horn. It's very popular driver, and at about 9€/pc there's room for fancy ideas! :) There are some custom DIY constructions on the webs. Would be better for me if it was louder than it is, though...

Yes, FRS5X it is. Never been keen on remembering stupid product names:tilt:
I have to knock down 10-12db around 1kHz so there is no issue of loudness, my bass gives up before the FRS5X.
TW6 is out of question as no chance of x-over at 3-400Hz;)
The resolution one gets from having such a low x-over is quite astounding + of course the directivity a bit higher up is also helping. I've been in search for a better driver with stronger motor, this is the next test in the horn.

MONACOR: SPX-20M

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.