interesting OMNI design...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here ' s mine :

Attachments

• omni.jpg
    omni.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 248
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Have you considered the MDD speakers? MDD Multi Delays Diffraction (Multi TL, omnidirectional, single drive, ...)

I built the aluminum 34c9 and the result is very very good. Definitely omnidirectional and a very interesting "band in the room" sort of effect. You could put a pair together quickly using a small FR speaker and a few plastic or even paper tubes. I still plan to scale these up a bit, maybe with the PRV 5" full range for more power handling and SPL. Even the small 3FE22 can play quite loud when supplemented with a subwoofer.

Interesting that the same arrangement for a microphone
makes it directional !

Nice to see this post. That was my initial thought as well. Reminded me of a 'science' demonstration I saw back in the early '70s where a large version of this type of mic was on the stage of a large theater full of people. it could pick up a clear conversation between two people talking in the lobby.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I would not say so. The sound is diffracting at the edges of the pipes. In this post, there is a REW file with my measurements - 34c9 a MDD full range speakers.

I wonder which side would one choose as the front:) These work best when the longest pipe is at the ear level. The music sounds like if there was a stage plan drawn at the longest pipe plane. If you stand up, the sound seems to arrive roughly from the same plane, like looking at the band from the top. So I would say these are really omnidirectional in the horizontal plane with the height betweem the shortest and longest tube.

Whoah thanks for the input!

Per chance I was able to get my hands on a pair of Audio Nirvana Super 12" ferrites this week (which is quite rare here in Europe). 99dB/m sensitivity... 40W nominal I think? And doesn't need a big cone excursion to produce lows down to 40Hz...
Quite pleased with these. Can't wait to build an omni box with these. Though first I will experiment with omni sound... Especially whether having these face up is enough to get nice omni sound that's also loud enough, or whether I will need a waveguide of some sorts. Anyway I'm very excited to get working with these

Hi,
I had built some omni speakers. It started as "just for fun", with a discarded carpet roll pipe, and two useless 4" Sony car speakers..
But it turned out to sound far better that its price and looks would suggest..
Not precise, but fun to listen to. Since the pipe was a sort of ML TL, it had even a nice bass.
In short: It's worth having a pair of omni speakers, too... :)

Attachments

• IMAG4890_copy_768x1365.jpg
    IMAG4890_copy_768x1365.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMAG4891_copy_1024x576.jpg
    IMAG4891_copy_1024x576.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 189
How do you measure omni-directional speakers? I rotated my speaker from 0 to 90 degrees and got these graphs in REW. I stopped at 90 because the front is the same as the back. A full 360 degree spin would generate the same graph.

Anyway, this is a line array that stands 5.5 feet tall. That's why I included the vertical graph too. However, it requires DSP to flatten the frequency response. These graphs do not include DSP equalization. They're straight from source to speaker.

EDIT: to be clear, this array requires DSP. Can't run without it.

Attachments

• Cosine - smoothed.JPG
    Cosine - smoothed.JPG
    558.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Vertical - All.JPG
    Vertical - All.JPG
    702.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.