fostex FE127e, newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a newbie here also in building speaker. So if any one had build already a full range speaker using Fostex Fe127e, can you share your experience with this speaker, in terms of music and movie sound. In music i most listen to jazz, classic, rock ballads. A concern friend recommend this Fostex, for easy building and no crossover needed, so I'm tempted to build this one and use for front(stereo) and center channel use. If ever, i'm going to build fostex recommended enclosure " double bass reflex enclosure". Need your comment and input with regard to this pls.

I considered doing exactly that, and still may at some point in the future. You will get the best (quantity) bass that way. But the double bass reflex will give you a bit of a "two-note" bass with peaks at (if I remember) about 120hz and 50hz.

The effect will be that of comparatively full, rich bass, but it will not be a flat, rolled off response. If you went another box style, the reponse would be smoother, but the bass would roll off at a higher frequency.

I think the double bass reflex likely represents a good overall compromise for the FE127E.

You could build a classic transmission line that you can also simulate with the matchcad worksheets given on the Quarter-Wave-website. (these are great tools for simulating)

It would a be "normal" straight rectangular enclosure that is easy to build.

The mathcad-worksheets may look rather complicate when you first see them but really aren´t if you look closer and I´m sure if that´s what you want to build you´ll get some help here to tackle your design.

Regards
Jens

You can find some useful info about the TL´s at http://www.t-linespeakers.org/ and http://geocities.com/rbrines1/ and of course the Quarter-Wave-site itself.

This is a tapered quarter-wave tube built using the RS 40-1197 which is similar to the Fostex FE103. The FE127 would work well in a slightly larger version of this enclosure. As joensd states, you could build a classic QWT which looks more like your typical speaker box. Also, consider making it a bipole.

My picture didn't show up.

Attachments

• phase1.jpg
    phase1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 613
Have tried FE127E in the folded TQWT. Really not much harder to make than bass reflex, it needs one slab more (and yes, the box is normally bigger), that is all. The results in the midrange are outstanding. However, though it plays the bass and it plays it defined, it does without authority. One would never guess what such small driver supported by box can do, but it is not yet what should be achieved (IMO). And more important, this driver has bump in the 4.5-7kHz range. The break-up is not even remotely pleasant.

In my opinion FE103E covers the “full-range” in the more effective way. Is somewhat smaller and has somewhat taller Fs though.

If that matters, I am working on the project which will use FE127E like midrange driver.

Pedja

okey guys, thanks alot for comment and suggestion, but i think i need to learned for what every thing means. I tell you people from this moment I never heard as what you called a HI-END stuff, I been wondering what hi-end sound liked. So I think this will be my objective to build as closed as possible to it, with my budget concerned($200). But this will be
a tough one for me, 'coz this is only one shot project 'coz my situation here, not all material and driver, not even one you can find here, even you find one it cost a lot. So you are all very lucky your in a right placed with regard to your hobby. But no worried at all one member from this forum will bring it here. Hey! I got my "tempest and plate amp" packed already. I do really love this hobby. So I'm very happy, I found a forum that every thing is possible with regards to audio stuff. (but not my situation:xeye:) I hope I'm not a intruder here.So All newbie out there dont hesitate
your in the right tracked.
The difference between the master and the apprentice, both know
what they want, but the apprentice don't know where to start.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.