Soundbar that only projects forward

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I am building my house right now and was going to use a sonos sound bar in my great room. I was going to build this into the wall and have it flush, however once I opened the box I noticed that the sonos sound bar actually projects sound out the sides/back. This will clearly not work as it would more than likely distort the sound.

I am looking for a white sound bar that only projects forward, that would be comparable to the sonos playbar. Any suggestions? I was going to put the soundbar in a void in the wall, and then do millwork around it to have a nice clean look.

Someone had suggested to me that bose has a nice white soundbar, but when I looked at it, it seems to project sound out the side (and possibly back) as well which would again cause issues if it is in the wall.

Thank you

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The size of the soundbar doesn't lend itself to being able to control lower and middle frequencies on its own. The direction of ports and drivers is therefore not doing much to direct this sound, it will go in all directions regardless.

Your idea of putting it in a wall would potentially offer directional control. Clearly you don't want things happening on the back when the speaker is to be mounted in a recess.

The way I see it, there should also be a graceful interface to the wall. This may include directional highs that avoid the wall, and a seamless baffling of lower frequencies.

So if I were to mount the sonos playbar in the void, and do mill work around it...I would still get a good clean sound even though some of it is being projected backwards?
Yes.
No problem at all by having some sound going backwards.
FWIW a popular cabinet style is the "Infinite Baffle" or "Open Board Baffle", essentially a large sheet of plywood or equivalent and a speaker monted on a hole.

By definition it radiates sound both ways, towards the listener and into the "empty space" behind.
In your case you have a cabinet designed to work on its own, which already radiates some sound backwards, way less than what a "raw" speaker would, so even less of a problem.

Yes.
No problem at all by having some sound going backwards.
FWIW a popular cabinet style is the "Infinite Baffle" or "Open Board Baffle", essentially a large sheet of plywood or equivalent and a speaker monted on a hole.

By definition it radiates sound both ways, towards the listener and into the "empty space" behind.
In your case you have a cabinet designed to work on its own, which already radiates some sound backwards, way less than what a "raw" speaker would, so even less of a problem.

You seem to be missing his point.

The original plan was to mount the speaker inside the wall, so the front baffle was flush with the wall.

If that speaker has drivers or ports on the sides/top/back, the sound from those would be trapped behind plasterboard - inside the wall.

This isn't a matter of speaker directionality. It's much simpler than that - the OP is looking for something where all the sound comes off the front of the speaker.

Chris

IF that is the case, OP should forget mounting it inside a wall or flush with any surface and mounting it fully in front.

Even worse: if it has back firing ports (I doubt it but let´s cover all cases) then it must be well ahead of the wall, say at least a couple inches.

You don´t actually know details about that "soundbar" because OP has NOT shown any pictures of it (specially sides and back) NOR linked to any specific datasheet.

Well, he said it's a Sonos Playbar. If you do an image search, you can see it's unsuitable for in-wall mounting as the OP would like.

It appears the long slots across the back of the unit are indeed bass reflex ports.

I hope we're all on the same page now.

Chris

Hi everyone - thank you for all your input.

That is correct - the intention is to mount the soundbar in the wall, and have the sound projecting forward. This would make it flush with the millwork.

I don't believe the sonos playbar is a good option due to the fact that it would project sound into the wall/void.

I am looking at a bose soundbar now, specifically
https://www.amazon.ca/Soundbar-Alex...ocphy=9001504&hvtargid=pla-568798559222&psc=1

It appears to only project sound forward as opposed to having speakers in the back of it as well. Thoughts on something like this?

Sure. The Bose 700 soundbar mentioned above claims to calibrate the speaker to the room. Apple's Homepod is better documented, and actually does beam forming.

Then there's the dynamic EQ and smart limiting that means you can use a few okay-ish drivers and get astonishingly good sound, even at high levels. If you listen carefully, you can tell the excursion limiters are coming in, but the sound certainly doesn't fall apart if you crank it.

It's all pretty impressive IMO. I still prefer my 8"+horn HiFi speakers, but the gap is getting smaller.

Chris

Yeah, the Sonos bars I've seen makes you do some calibration steps with a phone.
It's not very different to other calibration stuff, DSP is everywhere now.

It's not "bad" and it does make pretty good sound for the effort required, but on all the modern compact thingys I've heard, the bass is very muddy/lacks detail. The mids and highs are usually "okay". Have yet to be significantly impressed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.