translam cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
…Ceramica....

A good example of braces going the least effective way. Given it is a translam, these will have minimum benefit.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• ceramica.png
    ceramica.png
    320.4 KB · Views: 455
My build Ceramica

A lot of feedback from people who’ve never done a Translam build.

Where? :scratch1: I can't find any on the link, and I can't see any on this thread either from people who have never done a translam build. I have. Dave has. Wesayso has. Cal (I believe) has. So I'm not quite sure who you're referring to? It would be worth seeing their comments so they can be assessed, although in fairness to whoever they are, it isn't actually necessary to build an enclosure using this approach to assess its basic mechanical features characteristics.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Most definitely no problems related to bracing. In the areas of most concern the cabinet is very thick and sounded by sand filled voids. They are also made of moisture resistant HDF. They must weigh More than 100lbs each.

So brute force instead of finesse. With the sand filled thick walls the brace sare probably doing little.

dave

Just to be clear, neither of the designs Dave posted photos of were translams. While CNC routing was used to machine a few curved rib components, the curved panels were all vacuum bag formed rubber ply - very rigid when laminated 3 layers thick with yellow carpenters glue (Titebond 2, or Dural equivalent, IIRC). Even if we could have convinced ourselves of the merit of wasting that much material on a proof of. Inception build, the CNC time on the commercial machine at work would have cost dearly.
No matter how you go about it, CCM - curves cost money.

Whilst there's no denying translam builds can be expensive in terms of wasted material (although not necessarily so as Wesayso has demonstrated), they are an attractive option for anyone wanting to build a curved cabinet without access to tools or the required skills.

One of our customers has just built one which is featured on out blog. From his description, it passed all the skilled part to the CNC shop, leaving him with a set of components which resulted in a Lego-like build.

TL3-translam-09.jpg

A question regarding the last two posts rather than the translam approach - sorry.

I'm contemplating a curved cabinet build and plan to have an internal structure not dissimilar to that used in the pictures on the last couple of posts - do I need to increase the internal volume to compensate for the volume of the internal structure?

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.