Cabinets for Full Range Goodmans Axiom 201

Is it that the vents need to be a bit further back than the driver and the ovoid shape is the quide for this retraction?

Quoting a decades long member that I haven't seen posting for awhile now, 'Sound is Round', so round overs are superior to truncated and only really effective when fairly large relative to the speaker width, i.e. a 24" baffle has a ~13543/2/24 = ~282 Hz, so for it to not happen requires: ~13543/pi/282/2 = ~7.64" radius/side. 24 - ~15.28 = ~8.72" to mount the driver, so just not practical for the typical DIYer around here. Higher frequency ones get 'swamped' by the LF WLs, room modes, so renders them more cosmetic than anything acoustically useful.

In short, no, in theory the driver ideally should be in the vent.

The angled vent termination increases its pipe end correction = shorter vent for a given tuning and when the vent is a very high aspect ratio [> ~9:1], it becomes increasingly resistive to the point where it starts 'choking' from way too high a vent mach, so large pipe end correction smooths it out somewhat, just like extending a horn's mouth can smooth out ripples in its response.

Alternatively, one can add a foam 'horn'/pipe extension, though getting the optimal density and/or thickness can be a bit tedious.

Goodmorning everyone
on Rokikiki's request, I share in the thread a drawing with the dimensions I gave to Chris Templer's TNT project, however it should be noted that these measurements were obtained by redrawing with the CAD "on the" original photo of the Coral project, compensating for the drawing obtained with Templer's statements about his measurements .... so, it is not certain that what I got is exactly what Templer built (and as I said, I wrote to him without ever having any answer from him on the doubts I had .. .).
So take this drawing with the right attention, to those who want I can also send the CAD file privately, so that everyone can make changes or improvements to share here ...
PS: Dimensions are in centimeters, red lines indicate wooden profiles (25mm thick birch plywood) and purple lines indicate Axiom 201 speaker size.

Attachments

• axiom201_30mag2021.jpg
    axiom201_30mag2021.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 221
Hi Landrupp

I also have the project of swapping my goodies in Templer’s Iteration of the coral’s.

Did you finally build them?

Regards

Éric
View attachment 1038723
Hi Eric
These are very nice built, mine are like this and are looking soon for a new home
Eric
hi to everyone
no, unfortunately I have not yet built anything, I was waiting for some clarification on how to proceed to solve the problems of the measures that did not convince me, but in the meantime many things have happened in my life beyond the hifi and each one brought a small stone under which to bury this project ... I'm almost thinking about selling my axiom and stop thinking about it: in Italy they say "out of sight, out of mind" ...
very beautiful your projects, which speakers did you use? I see in your photos a concentric speaker ...

Reactions: 1 user
hi to everyone
no, unfortunately I have not yet built anything, I was waiting for some clarification on how to proceed to solve the problems of the measures that did not convince me, but in the meantime many things have happened in my life beyond the hifi and each one brought a small stone under which to bury this project ... I'm almost thinking about selling my axiom and stop thinking about it: in Italy they say "out of sight, out of mind" ...
very beautiful your projects, which speakers did you use? I see in your photos a concentric speaker ...
Hello landrupp
These are indeed concentric drivers without the issue if time alignment. Mine are Triaxiom 212c.
Eric

Hi Eric
These are very nice built, mine are like this and are looking soon for a new home
Eric
new sound coming out of my Goodmans after swapping the triode amp with the ACA. The response with the ACA and the Goodmans has much improved in the lower region in a way, that the body of bass drum, toms, acoustic bass a. o. can be 'seen' much better and with high speaker levels, I can hear the peaks with less distortions. The quality of sound is not far from some 'exotic' and high priced stereo sets, which I've heard at a HiFi-show recently.
Eric

Thanks
I think that I had this one.
I put the fabric (red) from some material for the kitchen cleaning. 1mm cca. And these braces are about 6mm. I used standard Al mesh that i can find in the stores similar to this. I used clasic neoprene glue to mesh and attach the fabric.
Overall dimensions can be extracted from the hole from original plans.
I will try to find pictures with dimensions of mine diy ARU-s
Can You measure the braces and the fabric?

Hi Zoran
The mesh wire is on the backside and on the frontside, there is a kind of ‚sliced and stretched foil‘.
The fabric seems to me a little thinner than 1mm. Probably between 0.5 and 0.25mm.
Eric

Attachments

• E442FE56-5BA1-49A8-91F7-E24172722275.jpeg
    E442FE56-5BA1-49A8-91F7-E24172722275.jpeg
    795.1 KB · Views: 52
  • B5C5FB95-00AB-4466-8CEB-1612E49E9506.jpeg
    B5C5FB95-00AB-4466-8CEB-1612E49E9506.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 4A233879-9015-45EF-A4D2-D8BC97F20C89.jpeg
    4A233879-9015-45EF-A4D2-D8BC97F20C89.jpeg
    568.4 KB · Views: 39
Yes the fibric is thinner about 0.5mm as You said.
I found some photos of my diy ones...
There are 2 metal mesh inside in mine, the distance between them is 5mm.
As from I can estimate...
Could You estimate the distance between the outside and inside mesh?
Also another set of braces in the same positions after the inside mesh.
The space in the center cell between the meshes is empty. (As Your photos indicated too.)
But is the rest of the space around the center "mesh hole" empty or filled with something?
And this outside mesh, is the something glued on the surface or is just the "empty" mesh?

Attachments

• IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0464.JPG
    IMG_0464.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0456.JPG
    IMG_0456.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
My ARUs are without distance between the sliced and stretched metal sheet (which is made for estetical reason? - my opinion) and the mesh wire. The light shines through too. If space is between the mesh wire and the metal sheet, this could prevent any rattle or noise, caused by vibrations at high speaker volume. I've found some more pictures and informations on my drive. There is also an early ARU version, without that 'estetical' metal sheet, with mesh wire only and probably much bigger in size.

Attachments

• ARU early version.png
    ARU early version.png
    779.3 KB · Views: 37
  • ARU wiredstate audio 01.png
    ARU wiredstate audio 01.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • ARU wiredstate audio 02.png
    ARU wiredstate audio 02.png
    589.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited: