Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pssst, Scott; Babb's patent permanently expired today
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 04:26 AM   #1
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Pssst, Scott; Babb's patent permanently expired today

US3983337A - Broad-band acoustic speaker
- Google Patents
. Nothing but cubic money now to keep us from having a true 20-20 kHz point source driver.

GM
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM   #2
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Too right. Now that really would be worth bringing back to market (or a variation thereof).

Last edited by Scottmoose; Yesterday at 10:05 AM.
Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM   #3
jjasniew is offline jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

I was 16 and didnt even know what soundstage or point source was, when that guy filed the application. I was thinking "All I know is the tweeter needs a 4uf NP cap" while this guy "Each subsection of the coil is centered on the boundary of the magnetic flux field so that as one subsection moves into the flux field, the other subsection moves out of the flux field at the same rate".

I didnt even know anyone who set their speakers 8 - 10 ft apart at one end of the room back then. I remember one guy hung his Bose 501s from the ceiling - and I thought that was just so cool.
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Seen/auditioned 901s in various layouts including suspended, but can't recall ever noticing any of the other product line except the original Acoustic Wave Music System that quite a few folks found $800 [IIRC] [~$2033 today] a fair price/performance ratio.

Anyway, the Lorelei Babb prototype that interests some of us is for lack of a better description, a true compact 'full-range' 4th order compression driven point source horn with an ultra high, spiderless 1" [1.2"?] Xmax combined with at least a 400 W peak power handling to offset its abysmal efficiency, controlled directivity out to ~140 deg [IIRC] and like all Babbs, a waterproof design for marine apps.

GM
Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM   #5
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

I see a frictional o-ring there. That’s going to have a hard time moving at 20kHz without a lot of heat friction. Also, a large stroke piston air pump to a horn is what this is. I am not sure the sound is going to be very hi-fi. Also, 1inch stroke at 20kHz is 504m/sec that’s above the speed of sound. About Mach 1.5. Compressible flow regime.

Has this ever been made into a good sounding driver for hifi audio?
Old Today, 02:55 AM   #6
woody is offline woody
diyAudio Member

GM was able to bring a pair to the Atlanta Diy Audio show back in 2002 ?
They were good, very good. I was interested in buying a pair but was a
little turned off by the price and the low efficiency.
Old Today, 10:27 AM   #7
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I see a frictional o-ring there. That’s going to have a hard time moving at 20kHz without a lot of heat friction. Also, a large stroke piston air pump to a horn is what this is. I am not sure the sound is going to be very hi-fi. Also, 1inch stroke at 20kHz is 504m/sec that’s above the speed of sound. About Mach 1.5. Compressible flow regime.

Has this ever been made into a good sounding driver for hifi audio?
Oh yes indeed: as GM noted, the Lorelei is rightly regarded as one of the finest wideband drivers ever built. Arguably 'the', with the partial exception of some of Olson's big [partial coax] units, which were functionally an inverse approach & significantly larger. Alas, the company as-was couldn't survive the financial crash and very few were made to the original / prototype spec. As a result, not many people have even heard about them.

Pssst, Scott; Babb's patent permanently expired todayHide this!Advertise here!