Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Need help choosing driver and design for living room/dining room
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2019, 02:57 AM   #1
MattHauck is offline MattHauck
diyAudio Member

Default Need help choosing driver and design for living room/dining room

I'm looking to build a pair of bookshelfish size full rangers to sit on top of some built ins in my dining room/living room. Total space is 13' wide, 25' long, 9' ceilings.

I really like the idea of building a planet10 style full ranger with a Mark Audio driver. I am looking at the Mar-Ken-7.3, Plu-Ken7, dPlu-Ken11, and Mar-Ken10.3.

My biggest question is effective loudness. In addition to providing quality sound in my mainlining area, I'd like these speakers to be loud enough to provide music for a party with a dozen or so people. Not anything like a rager with people screaming and dancing, but a cocktail party.

Considering, I'm leaning towards the dPlu-Ken11 because it seems that the Pluvia 11 can handle a little more power. It does seem to give up some of the detail of the smaller drivers and not dig as deep though, so I'd love to hear others thoughts on this. Thanks!

Last edited by MattHauck; 12th November 2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12th November 2019, 05:39 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Too big for any actual room gain, just close boundaries and cocktail parties average ~80 dB in the ~dedicated music area, so most any of the modern 'high' Xmax 'FR' drivers will suffice down to ~40-45 Hz, plenty low for this type of party.

My avatar clues you in on my type of party , so will leave it to others familiar with the various MA designs for guidance.

GM
Old 12th November 2019, 06:12 AM   #3
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Too big for any actual room gain, just close boundaries and cocktail parties average ~80 dB in the ~dedicated music area, so most any of the modern 'high' Xmax 'FR' drivers will suffice down to ~40-45 Hz, plenty low for this type of party.

My avatar clues you in on my type of party , so will leave it to others familiar with the various MA designs for guidance.

GM
That's too easy, by dismissing the question with bass only, as everybody knows that bass is a 'foundation' of sound. It 'predicts' the global loudness...of course when everything is accordance with it, the bass.
Same you can do to any portion of the frequency band, since it's in accordance with the rest...but, no, then it occurs the directivity at HF, the dispersion and so on, so a broader view must be used.
Saying that 'the speakers will be sitting on a built in...' opens many scenarios: where are the people? are the speakers aimed towards a direction? Are they high, mid or low placed? Any insane idea of using dual speaker? etc etc.
Old 12th November 2019, 07:25 AM   #4
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHauck View Post
Not anything like a rager with people screaming and dancing, but a cocktail party.
You never really know how it's gonna go down until the day after...
Big space = Big speakers!

The "7" drivers from MA probably need some help down low, the 10's can possibly "get by" alone, but not flat to 40hz.

I guess you could call the boxes I made for the Fane 12-250TC somewhat "Bookshelf", at least the format. About 100-120 liters each gets you far, manages 110db/2pi (measured) through most of the frequency range.
Old 12th November 2019, 07:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Many headphones with FM transmission, everybody will be happy with the direct-bass-in-the-ear-channel
Old 12th November 2019, 07:47 AM   #6
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

MattHauk, are you opened to different designs?

If yes, I'd check X's dual mini karlsonators.
They would fit the bill as loud enough for anything you mention, plus a wide dispersion of the sound for everyone to enjoy them.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th November 2019, 07:56 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
Any insane idea of using dual speaker? etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
I'm predicting the future now
Old 12th November 2019, 08:14 AM   #8
jjasniew is offline jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

110db? Cocktail party? The ladies will ask you to turn it down...
Old 12th November 2019, 09:01 AM   #9
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

You don't have to run it full tilt constantly, but then you'd have the option to do so if the situation will allow it. And they don't need any power at all to play what most people would consider really loud.

What can I say? I used to like small FR's... And I still do, but big FR's are so much fun!
Old 12th November 2019, 11:36 AM   #10
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
That's too easy, by dismissing the question with bass only........
Not really, it's a COCKTAIL PARTY SYSTEM! You basically want a response from before the days of sub woofers, so a rolled off ~40 Hz tuning is plenty. The rest is governed by speaker efficiency, so only needing ~80 dB avg. over just a portion of the room is easily handled by even the abysmally low eff. 'FR' drivers common nowadays.

GM

Need help choosing driver and design for living room/dining roomHide this!Advertise here!