Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Need help choosing driver and design for living room/dining room
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2019, 11:43 AM   #11
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post
What can I say? I used to like small FR's... And I still do, but big FR's are so much fun!
You're 'preaching to the choir', but complete overkill for a bona fide cocktail party for a 'dozen or so' folks in a room with ~ the same gross volume as mine.

GM
Old 12th November 2019, 02:55 PM   #12
MattHauck is offline MattHauck
diyAudio Member

Wow! Thanks for all the info already! I'm defiantly up for different designs, however, spouse approval factor is very important here. So something I can stain to be close to our oak built ins or Walnut table. Overall I'm budgeting around $200-$250 for this. S

A little more info on placement. The built in dish cabinets are in the corners of the room on the short (12') side, 7' tall 9so I have 2' clearance to the ceiling. They are about 3' wide, and form a triangle in the corner.

I am a bit of a newbie, but it seems that placement like that will reinforce the bass a little 9but maybe the room is too big for it to matter) and that I will want something with decent off-axis performance.
Old 12th November 2019, 03:42 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Which is to say, as long as they are on top of those built ins (7 feet in the air) I can angle them however. But certainly causes some issues regarding vent placement, etc. Thanks all for the help!
Old 12th November 2019, 09:36 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

In general; up high is best overall, just like in a restaurant, bar, etc., and if this 'china' wall is where you want the highest SPL, then the corners are ideal with up to +9 dB boost down low depending on room construction, though best to design to standard 2pi space [setting on the floor] and if you're lucky and wind up with too much bass, that's what tone controls are for. .

Regardless, since it's a high aspect ratio room with a bit higher than normal ceiling, need a dimensioned floor plan to make sure we're all on the same 'page' since it could wind up ideally needing in/on ceiling or HT 'atmos' type surround speakers.

GM
Old 13th November 2019, 09:56 AM   #15
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
complete overkill

Never thought I'd hear that from you!

Regardless, flat to 40/45hz does require a little bit more membrane area than the MA 7 series can provide. And the 10 series may be a little bit small as well. However, if the requirement is flat to 50/60 hz...
I think it's safe to say the goal is a single driver box, no (or very simple) crossovers or DSP trickery.
Seas FA22RCZ?
Old 13th November 2019, 12:54 PM   #16
larryldspkr is offline larryldspkr  Canada
diyAudio Member

I would recommend the alpair 10p in a bookshelf ( Planet 10 plans) for your set up. Go as big as you can fit in your shelf. I'm using a pair in my 20 X 14 X 8.5 foot room with a 5 watt KT 88 amp. It gets plenty loud with decent bass into the low 40's.

Larry
Old 13th November 2019, 01:52 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys! I am out of my house today but might be able to post a pic anyway of where they are going if that helps.

I think extension flat into the 50s will be fine.

Something like the SEAS will be out of my price range for this project. I’m looking to spend up to $250 or so.

So, I think it’s down to a large cabinet for some Alpair 10s, or the duel mini Karlaonator. I’d love to hear what the differences would be.

Overall, I’m looking for good off-axis performance, ability to fill a 25x13 room, and good quality, fairly flat sound.

Thanks!
Old 13th November 2019, 02:41 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Oh yeah. I should add that I am planning on driving these (for now) with either a 70s pioneer sx-650 (35 watts per channel) or a Onkyo ax-51 (40 watts per channel). So the incredible efficiency of the Karlsonators is not strictly needed. Though it would open me up to being able to do some cool amp builds in the future.
Old 14th November 2019, 03:51 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post

Never thought I'd hear that from you!

Regardless, flat to 40/45hz does require a little bit more membrane area than the MA 7 series can provide. And the 10 series may be a little bit small as well. However, if the requirement is flat to 50/60 hz...
I think it's safe to say the goal is a single driver box, no (or very simple) crossovers or DSP trickery.
Seas FA22RCZ?
What can I say other than 'horses for courses' and despite my well documented HE preferences, the vast majority of the dozens of speaker systems I designed/built for relatives, friends, co-workers, etc., in my active 'career' were [very] inexpensive and qualified as 'cocktail'; not 'frat', not live, not stupid loud 'swingers'/nightclub, etc., party systems, though did a few of those too.

Who said 'flat' to 40/45 Hz? Not me, I said rolled off because it's not needed nor historically wanted, at least here in the USA and judging by [vintage] spec drivers around the world it was no different, though never hurts to have some boundary gain to increase mid-bass dynamic headroom where a recording's or live concert's powerful 'bass' was and may still be for mainstream music.

Regardless, if deep bass is wanted for private listening or just to hasten the party elsewhere , that's what a switchable super tweeter and proper [multiple] sub system is for now that DSP is cheap.

Re the Seas FA22RCZ, my kind of performer to cram up high in a corner , but a [current] budget buster.

Anyway, he's interested in driver models I know little about beyond specs, which the higher efficiency ones seem 'good enough', so waiting on those who do to chime in as my experience with Mark's early designs, while great 'bang for buck' and mostly well built judging by how well they did DSOTM and similar till bounced off the back plates.

Having virtually no audible distortion to gauge impending VC 'clanging' or some sort of cushioned stop doesn't work for me.

GM

Last edited by GM; 14th November 2019 at 03:53 AM.
Old 14th November 2019, 07:39 AM   #20
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Allright, I agree that "flat to 60 then slow roll off" would be a very nice if you aim for some room loading.
I had a good experience making a Voigt pipe for the Tang Band 1611SA, and the SAF is 57$ each. Doesn't have to be a voigt pipe, any other vented design can be adapted to give similar performance.
Tang Band W5-1611SAF 5" Full Range Speaker

But the Mark Audio 10.3 fits the budget though a bit more expensive, and should have more fitting specs IE relatively loud sans room gain.

The Tang Band W5-2143 should also be considered at 60$ each.

I really hate accounting for room gain, it should be avoided, so here are some sims that fill your requirements with all of these drivers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TB 1611SAF.jpg (360.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg TB W5-2143.jpg (366.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg MA 10.3.jpg (359.2 KB, 75 views)

Need help choosing driver and design for living room/dining roomHide this!Advertise here!