Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lii Audio 15" full range
Lii Audio 15" full range
Lii Audio 15" full range Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2019, 07:11 AM   #1
jjasniew is offline jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Lii Audio 15" full range

Proud owner here, as of last week. I threw them up onto a pair of table leg stands, just to be sure they're OK after shipping, as a Saturday morning effort. They are.

I'm quite happy with the sound. Now, I need to mount them on an OB design of some sort. Any assistance would be much appreciated!

I was casually thinking I might replicate Decware's "Betsy" design and would like to understand why the "barrel" shape works. Caintuck Audio, the originator of the Betsy, also offers "tombstone" style baffle boards with parallel sides.

Lucky for me, there's a Washington state surplus store very near to where I live, which has tables, desks and other MDF based bench-tops at very inexpensive prices. My plan is to pick something up and start cutting. If I'm lucky, there'll be two of something I could cut into a Betsy, or something with parallel sides I can simply trim to height.

The typical desk or workbench top laminate - my worry is how to get a clean edged, say, 16" circular cut in something that may be 2" thick. I like the standing mass of a baffle like that, but I dread trying to make such a cutout with something like a Sawzall. The Decware speaker mounting is flush with the baffle surface - looks really nice - However I assume the only way to do that is with a router...

Hopefully I'll be choosing a couple of hunks of material to work with this coming week. I could have got a pair of matching 6' diameter 2" thick tables - which would have easily yielded a pair of Decware style Betsy Baffles - for $5 each. I couldnt have lifted them atop my Subaru forrester if I wanted to. What practical width should I be setting my sights on for this 15" and its free air of ~50 Hz?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01907.jpg (423.3 KB, 652 views)
File Type: jpg Lii F15.jpg (435.2 KB, 656 views)

Last edited by jjasniew; 10th November 2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10th November 2019, 03:15 PM   #2
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Wide as you can stomach.

Try something like the old Wharfedale baffle; that seems a popular choice (also used by Quad for the ESL57 IIRC).
Old 10th November 2019, 05:28 PM   #3
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

The Edge program shows best bass with a wide baffle and the driver off to one side. The wider side of the baffle can be turned back 90% so the from looks like the driver is centered.
Old 10th November 2019, 07:13 PM   #4
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Lii Audio 15" full range
Quote:
Caintuck Audio, the originator of the Betsy
He is not the originator. At least the 3 times removed from the fellow who started it.

dave
Old 10th November 2019, 08:14 PM   #5
Martigane is offline Martigane  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I d be really curious to see how it measures
Old 10th November 2019, 10:12 PM   #6
CraigSu is offline CraigSu  United States
diyAudio Member

I’ve considered using a flat face solid core door to create a pair of Betsy’s in a tombstone shape. You might luck up on one at the store and it would fit in your vehicle.
Old 11th November 2019, 04:47 PM   #7
jjasniew is offline jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

I had a look on line for the "old wharfdale baffle" and found this;

I like the comment that "There is no particular virtue in its dimensions". Also the tilt-back angle wasnt shown in the drawing. Apparently the "Betsy" stands up straight and I was wondering if I should incorporate some backward tilt into the stand part.

I'm also wondering about speaker height. I'd like to keep the speaker center 20 - 24" up off the floor (to match my seated ear height) but I understand this may be wrong thinking on my part, as there may be as much to lose in some other performance aspect if I do this.

I can see that the speaker position on the baffle correspondes to the wing shape of the sides. If I flipped the whole thing 180 (conceptually), would I get combing due to the speaker height being more toward this ear height I think I want?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wharfdale.jpg (75.3 KB, 491 views)
File Type: jpg Wharfdale1.jpg (183.0 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg Wharfdale2.jpg (113.4 KB, 460 views)

Last edited by jjasniew; 11th November 2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11th November 2019, 06:50 PM   #8
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

FWIW, when loading the specs in HR had to 'fudge' an apparently obviously wrong [Sd] spec to AFAIK an equally wrong [Sd] = 402 cm^2 [~22.624 cm/8.91" eff. dia.] to make the other specs line up 'close enough', so wonder what they'll actually measure.

GM
Old 11th November 2019, 08:35 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I didn't try back-calculating the spec. but I'd say that FR plot is a mite smoothed also.
Old 11th November 2019, 08:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasniew View Post
I had a look on line for the "old wharfdale baffle" and found this;

I like the comment that "There is no particular virtue in its dimensions". Also the tilt-back angle wasnt shown in the drawing.

I'm also wondering about speaker height. I'd like to keep the speaker center 20 - 24" up off the floor (to match my seated ear height) but I understand this may be wrong thinking on my part, as there may be as much to lose in some other performance aspect if I do this.
Gilbert Briggs was being a touch 'British' with that one; it was actually a rather well designed baffle. Mixture of accident and design perhaps, but it's popular. The driver position is deliberately low to pick up some boundary gain for e.g.

Lii Audio 15" full rangeHide this!Advertise here!