Lii Audio 15" full range

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I doubt it, it was a very limited run that went nowhere.

It is a 6.5” Alnico driver specifically designed for OB.

68491d1155013068-pictures-report-06-vancouver-island-diyfest-som-obs-jpg

68492d1155013123-pictures-report-06-vancouver-island-diyfest-som-fr-wpp-jpg

Phase plugs are ours (we started by playing with a tube, something Steve Deckard picked up. Not recommended.

Drivers are up for grabs, open to offers, i will not use them again. I can do better pictures if needed.

dave

The Lii is a fullrange driver that is ment for open baffle systems and has the specs for it. The Tannoy is a kind of backloaded(compound) horn that is tuned for a total different speaker (a dual concentric) with total different specs and so probally totally unfit for it. If you want that lii in a cabinet and not in a open baffle the best you can do is a very big closed cabinet or a aperiodic ported cabinet, not a backloaded horn. If you want that cabinet better use a different driver like the Radian 5215B coaxial and adapt the cabinet to it (which is done before and the plans are on the net).

Last edited:
And strike three. ;)

Assuming the published data is accurate (just assuming, although I have some justifiable caution in the matter), it's primarily intended, as noted above, for use on baffles, open-back boxes, possibly a big old-fashioned sealed or resistively vented. You might even get away with a large vented, providing you're not targeting a flat or damped alignment. A Westminster isn't likely to suit it without adding significant damping, by which time you'd have to wonder why you're bothering, as it's a very complex, expensive and time-consuming way of obtaining the results you'd likely end up with.

Ahoy DIYers!

I was thinking to jump into dipoles yet I'm quite an ignorant for crossovers and stuff, zero experience with speaker building. So if someone experienced can help divert me off this idea of mine and I'll be grateful:)

The driver caught my attention and if I'm about to do anything dipole wise, it will be with it. Since I've never soldered in my life and I'm clueless with spectrum analyzers, DSP amps/dacs, I want to avoid anything more complex than what I'm presenting here.

I found these oversized baffles (aka Decawere) too ugly, can I just use 'normal' size baffle for F-15 and support the bass with additional 15" driver driven by class D amp out of integrated preout? As I understand, oversized baffle is here to extend the lower region of the spectrum. Since I'd use 'normal' size baffle how much it will affect midbass around 100-300hz range compared to 'full' sized baffle?

I'm listening exclusively to classical music, some chamber and a lot of large orchestral stuff. As I'm planning to drive F-15 full range straight out of an integrated amp, will I be able to hit above 90db without obvious strain and distortion in my 18m2 room?

Supporting bass driver would be Eminence alpha-15a, just because I have local dealer for it:) I'm not settled though, is it good enough or is it worth it to go for something a bit more fancy like Lii W-15, Acoustic Elegance 15, Beyma etc..?

Lastly, how exactly would I benefit from adding 10-15cm frame behind the baffle? I guess its called 'u-frame' then.

OB-plan.jpg

I had more to say, but DIYAudio just dumped my longish reply due to me apparently logging out somewhere else. Damn browser cache and all that jazz - that's too bad...

I'll post the valuable bits, aside from my attempt at being encouraging ramblings...

http://www.modelpromo.nl/audio-dand...Speaker/The Liionidas Open Baffle speaker.pdf

The Liionidas Voice Master , Lii Audio W15 woofer , F15 top board and Leonidas XO for those who believe in magic ! | Open baffle, Hifi, Baffled - "for those who believe in magic" it says.

Last edited:
With a big barrel type baffle (which your rectangular design + narrow wings at the back would approach in width) you'll have to cross around 150hz.

Separate bass amp and dsp is somewhat easier to implement than a passive crossover and will allow you to boost the bottom-end, so baffle width matters less. You won't have to pad down the F15 either to match the lower sensitivity of the woofer. For the latter you could also consider Eminence Deltalite II 2515 or Faital Pro 15PR400: Ciare NDH 15-4S vs Faital 15PR-400 vs Eminence Deltalite II 2515 OpenBaffle

@Dave: is sub-par dsp really an issue at such a lowish crossover point?