Lii Audio 15" full range

Still, I think that the Lii 15" needs some tweeter ( and so some crossover in the 7-10 kHz range) to overcome the issue of lack of directivity at the sides ( or > dispersion)
But- yes, which tweeter ?

The enormity of the cone says no-no to almost any regular tweeter -and you don't want a BG RD 50 in horizontal...

Oh yes, a little lacking in the bass, that's what I fear.
Nevertheless, here's the sketch of a 'protruding' baffle

Attachments

• jukebox.jpg
    jukebox.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,057
Still, I think that the Lii 15" needs some tweeter ( and so some crossover in the 7-10 kHz range) to overcome the issue of lack of directivity at the sides ( or > dispersion)
But- yes, which tweeter ?

The enormity of the cone says no-no to almost any regular tweeter -and you don't want a BG RD 50 in horizontal...
With a tweeter and a xover all theharmonics and the musical presence will be lost.

How do you mean?
When one add just 1 capacitor or 1 resistence or 1 inductor to the music signal this electric active part will lost the low level electric signal as heat, this low level energy are the musical harmonics and are time aligned with all the sound present in the recording, this low level musical energy will do the performance sound as real music, but once it is removed by the presence of a capacitor or resistence or inductor etc the performance will sound as hi-fi audio, no more as music, so more parts mean more musical info lost.
Sorry but this is the awfull thruth, there is no free lunch in Xovers vs FR drivers, however dont be surprised as flat earth minded engineers will prompt disagree.

Last edited:
When one add just 1 capacitor or 1 resistence or 1 inductor to the music signal this electric active part will lost the low level electric signal as heat, this low level energy are the musical harmonics and are time aligned with all the sound present in the recording, this low level musical energy will do the performance sound as real music, but once it is removed by the presence of a capacitor or resistence or inductor etc the performance will sound as hi-fi audio, no more as music, so more parts mean more musical info lost.
Sorry but this is the awfull thruth, there is no free lunch in Xovers vs FR drivers.
If you can hear such differences best you find a new interest as you will never enjoy music

Sorry but this is the awfull thruth, there is no free lunch in Xovers vs FR drivers, however dont be surprised as flat earth minded engineers will prompt disagree.
A crossover is not just a filter and a fullrange driver is fundamentally no different than any other driver.

If you look at the baffles on the Decware site, you'll notice that the drivers are positioned somewhere around 43% down from the top on the big 42" tall baffle, not in the middle - when you look at the smaller tombstones, the ratios are similar so this seems to indicate that these particular baffle ratios do actually work in practice.

It'll be interesting to see some actual production driver measured response results ...

I gave the "edge" program a go, doing a couple of rough simulations just to see how its results correspond to driver positioning. This is with the baffle cut to ~50" and the semi-circle intact.

First, I placed the driver appx centered to produce a result. I assume bass is maximum here and diminishes as you move the driver towards any edge; please see the first two photos of my simulation.

Then, I panned the driver position about the baffle surface to produce another frequency response output. Here about 0.5 db of bass is lost, due to moving away from the center of the structure. However to my eye, the resulting FR is "better". The second two screenshots show this new position.

Could someone please confirm that I'm using the program as intended? I ask because I also simulated the Wharfdale arrangement - a popular one by the looks of various OB photos I see - and the result is closer to my "centered" FR plot... There, I can also move the driver to what looks to me to be a better position. However I never see that position - nor any other - in these common arrangements; always the "stock" placement.

Maybe I should give the large Decware betsy a go, with it's "43% down from the top" to see what edge has to say about that? Thanks!

Attachments

• Edge1.jpg
    Edge1.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 908
  • Edge1FR.jpg
    Edge1FR.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 903
  • Edge2.jpg
    Edge2.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 896
  • Edge2FR.jpg
    Edge2FR.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 904
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member

What a load of nonsense!

A crossover is not just a filter and a fullrange driver is fundamentally no different than any other driver.
Correct. The device know as Notch Filter also has the same deleteric bad effect on the music, they all are not recommended for use with a FR drivers. They have the same harmonics cutting effect on all kind of drivers inclusive tweeters.

Last edited:
Don't even try to apply reason, logic or mathematics to the faithful...when the descriptives of "bad", "musical" and their ilk come out, reason goes out the window.
Mind you, I happen to be doing up some full-rangers right now...but I have no delusions about how poorly they likely will perform.

-------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.............