Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lii Audio 15" full range
Lii Audio 15" full range
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2019, 08:45 PM   #11
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn View Post
The Edge program shows best bass with a wide baffle and the driver off to one side. The wider side of the baffle can be turned back 90% so the from looks like the driver is centered.
I like that idea, folding the baffle back on one side only means less of a problem with cavity resonance and the overall narrower baffle means less blockage of the front wall reflection.
Old 12th November 2019, 07:49 AM   #12
jjasniew is offline jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

@djn, scootjoplin,

Yes, I was shown a pile of apparently new tables and the lady there promised she'd make them available on Tuesday (tomorrow). These will fit in the back of the Subaru and I can probably afford 3 or 4 of them; use two, split one to use for a single wing on each "cab".

(And one in case I screw up a cut on one, either way the remainder becomes the base / stand construction)

About those cuts, let's say I'm cutting across or around something with counter top laminate on it already. What tool method would make laser fine edging? I'm afraid if I just cut across one of these with the tablesaw, it's just going to shred the laminate at the cut. Anyone know any tricks to working with laminated MDF using a rotary blade?

To make the speaker cutout, I was actually dreaming up making a tool that could get me a clean edge on the laminate. Sort of a "boy who harnessed the wind" affair. Unsure if they make a hacksaw-style blade for my harbor freight "Chicago" sawzall, but that's where I'll first start to look for a solution.

I'm going to mount the speaker not recessed on the top surface, so it'll cover any cutout anomalies. I've been thinking of a second (1/4"?) wood finish laminate to shore up around the speaker basket top, perhaps I could cut a decent decorative pattern into it that would also break up the surface from being so flat. And it would be nice to get some kind of screen or cloth over these and great if I can figure a way to incorporate that into this second laminate idea.

We'll see what tomorrow holds. If successful, I'll post pictures of the materials. There's a place that sells large slabs of granite in the same parking lot. If I'm lucky at the surplus place, maybe I'll stop by there and ask "how much for one of these in granite? with a 16" hole in it?" Thanks,

Last edited by jjasniew; 12th November 2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12th November 2019, 12:48 PM   #13
nicoch58 is offline nicoch58  Europe
diyAudio Member

JJ look here....OB Theory
Old 12th November 2019, 01:57 PM   #14
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
JJ look here....OB Theory
Yes, I was thinking of OB theory when I read above, but I didn't want to break JJ's dreams.
You want a driver that plays consistently the bass, because it will need to be equalized by passive or active means.
Since your driver is already G-normous, you wouldn't want to push its bass abilities because it's full BW and because of IMD, and generally it's the big one to generate bass.
So you'll need a shelving HP filter for the Lil 15" and another woofer for the bass. Probably a 4 Ω or 2+2Ω 15" woofer for car audio could do the job, probably two and a dedicated amplifier with electronic crossover, who knows?
Old 12th November 2019, 02:11 PM   #15
FullRangeMan is offline FullRangeMan  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martigane View Post
I d be really curious to see how it measures
Iam curious to know how it sounds.
Old 12th November 2019, 02:16 PM   #16
FullRangeMan is offline FullRangeMan  Brazil
diyAudio Member

How it sounds good apparently, there are already people making money on it.
DECWARE Zen Master Series Loudspeakera
I wonder how it could sound in a big Bass Reflex box?
Old 12th November 2019, 02:34 PM   #17
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRangeMan View Post
I wonder how it could sound in a big Bass Reflex box?
I had a 15" that generated funny backEMF in a BR box
Old 12th November 2019, 03:01 PM   #18
nicoch58 is offline nicoch58  Europe
diyAudio Member

50cm x 100cm will do good job ..my 8"fr just do it

later you can add a second 15" like alpha or beta
Ps search Nelson Pass OB

Last edited by nicoch58; 12th November 2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 13th November 2019, 01:30 AM   #19
jjasniew is offline jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, here it is. (My wife went with me, so I didnt, er, get a chance to stop at the granite store...) I got 4 of them and they charged me next to nothing for a brand new table top.

They weigh 53 lbs each, very close to my max safe lift limit. 30" wide, and I'll probably be using somewhat less than their 59.5" height but I'd like to keep the vertical orientation.

I'm hoping someone can suggest where to arrange the 15" driver cutout on the surface, if different than the obvious spot. I'm OK with it being offset from the circular top, if sonic benefits are a result.

As all of it is a compromise, I'd simply like to do the best I can with this set of material. I'm OK with losing the octave below this speakers 60 Hz Fs; these cones are pretty tight and not suspended at all like the Wharfdale woofers.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01909.jpg (374.7 KB, 189 views)
Old 13th November 2019, 08:46 AM   #20
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Vertically, at some odd harmonic, so normally at H*0.21, 0.349, 0.424.

Horizontally, at some acoustic or golden ratio, especially since it's a 1/2 round top. The pioneers seemed fond of the industrial design's 1:1.4142:2 while folks nowadays tend to use the 0.618:1:1.618 golden ratio, but there's lots of others to choose from: http://docshare04.docshare.tips/file.../288382396.pdf

Room ratio formula: Chapter 13, fig. 13-6

Room ratio chart with some already done: Chapter 13, fig. 13-9.

GM

Lii Audio 15" full rangeHide this!Advertise here!