Got FE206En, seeking advise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
maybe I am confused - - It seemed like XRK971 in that 2014 post regarding simulation of FE203EN was referring to the width of a Karlsonator8 being scaled by 0.53 (and not the Karlsonator12)

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

If I make the box smaller to get the volume down by scaling height and depth by 0.81x and width by 0.53x, we get this:

417151d1399407427-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-k8-tla-0.81x-0.53xw-fe203en-s-freq-1m.png

I have Karlsonator 12 and tjhe old Karlsonator 6 prototype but the 8 inch version and FE206EN were ruined in a basement flood at the builder's house. That was a long time ago. I wonder if there's a way to fudge the Karlsonator's low end response with hornresp ?

Here's a picture from June 2011 of the Karlsonator 6 and Karlsonator 8 prototypes

Whh0gi8.jpg

Last edited:
I have Karlsonator 12 and tjhe old Karlsonator 6 prototype but the 8 inch version and FE206EN were ruined in a basement flood at the builder's house. That was a long time ago. I wonder if there's a way to fudge the Karlsonator's low end response with hornresp ?

That's a shame.

It's been quite some time since I fired up Hornrsp, but I imagine so, since it's in effect a variation on the DSL style [double] tapped horn (which is itself in effect a 6th order BP). Since the shape of the K terminus will not be factored in, it'll be a fudge as you say, unless you're able to equate it to a rapid end-flare. Not ideal, but probably close enough to give an approximate idea of the load.

On a related note, is Bill's 70Hz K / Fulmer horn still lurking around?

- dunno about Bill's horn - it got one build on Diyaudio and the driver was not a good match - terrible review. Hopefully it did better with low Q Fostex than Zobsky;s W8-1772

Build Thread K-Slot Rear Loaded Horn for Tangband W8-1772

I seen the pinnacle of FR art is that (Blujmenstein - did you mention him ?) wizard's "Octapus" bass reflex cabinet with looks like 4-GRS BOFU - that would have to be tough to match ! :D

I really do like the 45lb weight of such a cabinet and assume inspiration came from the many 4x10 bass guitar cabinets in use
Octopus 4x8" Full Range pair Shop— Blumenstein Audio

Last edited:
Thanks, managed to dig the plans out for my records. I thought I had them, turned out it was just the front panel.

- dunno about Bill's horn - it got one build on Diyaudio and the driver was not a good match - terrible review. Hopefully it did better with low Q Fostex than Zobsky;s W8-1772

IIRC Bill designed it for the old FE208Sigma (whizzer cone model) which had about 1/3 the Vas and a Qt about 23% lower than the TB unit, so I'm not entirely surprised it didn't turn out as hoped for.

I seen the pinnacle of FR art is that (Blujmenstein - did you mention him ?) wizard's "Octapus" bass reflex cabinet with looks like 4-GRS BOFU - that would have to be tough to match ! :D I really do like the 45lb weight of such a cabinet and assume inspiration came from the many 4x10 bass guitar cabinets in use

I don't think I mentioned Clark (someone else might have), but from a quick gander -well, the principle is certainly sound enough. Not sure I'd call it the pinnacle of the art ;) but as a broad concept, it's sound. :)

for an opinion of FE206EN in a Karlson K12, about as close as I've seen is a description of Dayton's PS220

" - - -By posting in this thread, I just wanted to let anyone interested in PS220 that they sound pretty good in Karlsons (and in my room). No measurement can describe that sound - the closest would be to say that it sounds like the "loudness" is built into the speaker. The sound just fills the whole room and you can really feel it, regardless of where you stand. Imaging is unbelievable. Bass is strong, punchy and starts hammering somewhere around 60Hz (thanks to cabinets) while the highs are sparkling, due to PS220. Classical music sounds terrific. Again ... there are few audible peaks/dips so if you are looking for a technically perfect speaker, go for MLTL. "

Dayton 8" FR PS220 Discussion

regarding the "Octopus" - would one speaker be a "Quadrapus" ??

Octopus 4x8" Full Range pair Shop— Blumenstein Audio

hmm - my spelling could use improvement

tOS9l1J.jpg

Last edited:
ik got a request for a K of some sort for the old Sigma FE208 and as can't simulate the Karlsolnator, would like to know the reference XRK971 was using when simulating FE203EN back in 2014. It sounded llike he was talking about scaling a Karlsonator 8 by 0.8 vertically and 0.53 width IIRC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.