Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Fostex Alnico Fullrangers!!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2019, 10:44 PM   #11
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
I'm guessing foam, based on pix and the reproduction aspect???
Correct me if I'm wrong Dave or Chris but I would guess not. Even before the infamous Fostex 103, there was the Foster 10F3 (which I happen to have a set] and every one I've seen since then has been cloth, no?

Besides, the foam of today is treated differently than in years of yore. They last a long time now.
Old 8th November 2019, 02:45 AM   #12
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The original FE103A has a cloth surround.

dave
Old 8th November 2019, 02:46 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

10F3 is one of many variants of the FE103A — number dependent on who they were OEMing for. 10F3 was their own.

dave
Old 8th November 2019, 03:01 PM   #14
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Alnico magnet is still very expensive? I would guess the difference in total manufacturing cost between alnico and ferrite is less than 10%.
Old 8th November 2019, 03:04 PM   #15
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

It was labelled Foster 10F3 and I thought that came before the Fostex F103? No?
Old 8th November 2019, 03:07 PM   #16
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Depends on what grade and what you're comparing it to (along with your supply chain & buying power). By and large, AlNiCo magnets tend to be more expensive than ferrite, but in the case of a driver this size & of this type, not hundreds of dollars more so. That isn't the reason for the price. Most of that is due to them being a collector's piece: limited numbers, nice box, recreated basket (or close, whether using old tooling or having to have new tooling made) and likely needing to have set up a dedicated production area for however many they've made. They won't have been cheap to produce, relatively speaking, so the price reflects that & the target audience.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 8th November 2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 8th November 2019, 07:36 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
It was labelled Foster 10F3 and I thought that came before the Fostex F103? No?
The 10F3 predates those named FE103, and are the same generation as 78D261-1 & 10RD11.

New Fostex Alnico Fullrangers!!-fe103a-family-jpg

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE103A-family-s.jpg (42.9 KB, 326 views)
Old 8th November 2019, 07:39 PM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
That isn't the reason for the price.
One of the reasons is that to mag them you need a magcharger of considerably larger size and cubic dollars.

dave
Old 8th November 2019, 08:04 PM   #19
GUNFU is offline GUNFU  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Alnico has no advantages in sound, and also in characteristics over other magnets. And especially Alnico loses to the neodymium. My friend, a speaker manufacturer from Hungary, told me that he only produces them because of marketing. By ear, he also does not hear any advantages of Alniko even before ferrite.
But it is well known that in just 5 years, the Alniko magnet loses its magnetization by 20%.
Neodymium does not lose at all.

Last edited by GUNFU; 8th November 2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 8th November 2019, 09:43 PM   #20
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
One of the reasons is that to mag them you need a magcharger of considerably larger size and cubic dollars.

dave
But this is not the first only or latest driver from Fostex to feature an Alnico magnet and I would think Fostex already has considerably large magnet chargers, no?

ex:
Fostex Premium Craft W160A

★ Newly developed HR diaphragm Fostex's original HR diaphragm has evolved with the latest speaker technology. For the diaphragm material, papermaking that forms a three-dimensional structure with a combination of materials mainly composed of fibers has been newly optimized for 16cm woofers. Utilizing the characteristics of the HR shape (* 1) that distributes divided vibrations while ensuring rigidity, it achieves rich, high-resolution premium bass playback that combines high rigidity with internal loss retention.
★ Alnico magnet type magnetic circuit Alnico magnet is adopted for the magnetic circuit. Furthermore, by placing a copper cap on the pole piece, current distortion is reduced and high-pitched bass reproduction is realized.
★ Adopting a proprietary foam driver on the edge We have adopted an original foam driver jointly developed with a material manufacturer as the edge material. Combines the texture of a solid rubber edge with the lightness of a cloth edge, and realizes resonance suppression along with the UDRT shape (* 2).
★ Newly designed push-pull double damper A newly-designed push-pull double damper with a wave shape design is installed. By installing two so that the wave direction is vertically symmetric, Cms linearity and amplitude can be secured.

[Premium 16cm woofer with alnico magnet]
Impedance: 8Ω
Minimum resonance frequency (F0): 42.9Hz
Playback frequency band: F0 to kHz
Output sound pressure level: 88dB
Fs: 42.9 Hz
Rated input: 35W
Maximum input: 100W
Baffle opening diameter: Φ151㎜
Mms (M0): 18.4 g
Vas: 13.5 L, Qms: 3.65,
Qes: 0.34, Qts (Q0): 0.31
Weight: 4kg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 145310416.jpg (59.8 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by mp9; 8th November 2019 at 09:50 PM.

New Fostex Alnico Fullrangers!!Hide this!Advertise here!