Back loaded horn plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Falcon.jpg

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
All 7 of Madisounds terminal cups have too much metal in the post sfor mr, but they do work.

Some nice,but pricey, WBT next gen and some Mundorf. No nice cheap ones. And i noted this, so that they can be forced into industry standard 3/4” spacing.

At PE, i’d consider these inexpensive ones, note the nuts. They look cheesy but work well.
Parts Express Recessed Binding Post Banana Jack 5-Way Speaker Wire Terminal
Parts Express Gold Plated Bi-Amp Speaker Wire Terminal Cup Binding Post Banana Jack (change the jumpers to wire if you need to jump them, a double can also be used to experiment with series R if your amp has too low an output impedance for the speakers).

These i have bought from PE (don’t know which one, they look the same but cost different):
Parts Express Gold Binding Post Banana Jack 5-Way Speaker Terminal
Parts Express Binding Post Banana Jack 5-Way Speaker Wire Terminal

And there is the Speak-on solution (not versatile enuff for my needs): Parts Express Binding Post Banana Jack 5-Way Speaker Wire Terminal

But i searched out these, bought them a 100-200 at a time. We wanted termunals that did not significantly stick out of the box, were easy to remove (so a cup),
the same “chessy” looking plastic nutted terminals. and put the smallest hole in the box possibe givrn the other constraints:
But i searched out these, bought them a 100-200 at a time. We wanted termunals that did not significantly stick out of the box, were easy to remove (so a cup),
the same “chessy” looking plastic nutted terminals. and put the smallest hole in the box possibe given the other constraints:
https://qcomponents.ca/McBride-TC14.html

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They also have a good selection of speak-ons. Q-Components/McBride are more pro/semi-pro oriented, but are what remains of Radio Speakers of Canada.

dave

A bit of a related segue here. I notice in the photos that Dave has posted re: binding cups that the one installed in the cabinet is what I would call an upside down orientation while the manufacturer photo below it is what I would call right side up. That’s the only way I have ever installed binding cups but after seeing it the other way I realized in the 25 plus years I’ve been involved in the hobby that it never occurred to me to install them any other way. Apart from providing some strain relief for banana plugs in the upside down position is there any advantage to either orientation or is it down to preference? How do you folks install them?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Orientation depends on how you like the speaker wire to lie. There is no right orientation (althou i have never seen them sideways).

If you look at teh dozen or more pair od speakers i have here, i expect you will see it both ways. I tend to prefer the terminals pointing towards the floor, as i use dual-Pomona banana plugs and prefer the cable dressed downward. It has been pointed out that there is less chance of the posts slipping out if they point upwards, but if your bananas are that loose you have other issues. If you were using spades or bare wire, wire dressed down would require posts facing up.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I guess it depends on your bananas implentation and th ewire you use. Many horns are sufficiently sensitive enuff (or in the case of Fostex FExx6 where high output impedance amp is specified) to use real skinny solid wire.

I have no wire sticking out. There is a resraint on the dula Ponamas that directs the wire in the same orientation as the plugs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

Duder, I’ve always thought it would look cool to have those heavy metal posts individually mounted in the wood, but I ordered the wrong ones/couldn’t get the depth right.

I’ve used the cups and “strip” version Dave references from parts express. I kinda like the simplicity of the little strip with the posts 3/4” aparts. They have the foam gasket omg material And seem to seal up nice.

Ordered your drivers yet? Make some sawdust?

I’m excited to get your opinion on the falcons. I bet you’ll dig them. I love my lances at work

Yes drivers had been ordered, along with dampening material. I have some binding post similar to the ones in the cup. I have a plan to try and make these work. Now just trying to decided on wood. Either look for 1/2" good plywood that wont break the bank or use 1/2" mdf and wrap with some Mahogany I have sitting around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.