Any success with Chinese branded drivers on eBay and Ali?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lii audio fast 10 and crystal 10, also F15. .

Having heard the Lii Fast-10, I cannot recommend it. The frequency response is a nightmare, with a huge peak at 9kHz. It might (might) work okay as a midbass driver, but running full-range I couldn't make it through a complete song before trying something else to see if there was anything at all it could play well.

The manufacturer-provided response plots look excellent. In reality, they're anything but.

Chris

hi Chris661 - love to see that graph and T-S.

imo LCaoF6 is a pretty good six inch category fullrange driver - look at its ~on-axis response in a Karlsonator 6 prototype. (a bit less cabinet depth than plan). Its rather high qts gave less "snap" in that cabinet vs a de-whizzered FE164 on slapped upright bass tracks. That's why I don't love 12LTA - it needs more magnet.

FWIW an audio file - there's no damping in the front chamber - just some in the "stub" and bottom back of the box.

Karlsonator Six with L. Cao F6 six Inch fullrange speaker - YouTube

P95SGnQ.gif

In case anyone is interested, here is the plan for the Karlsonator6. Make sure to put damping material in the stub (above the driver). Its fb is around 60 which works well and not too anemic.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/att...loudspeaker-enclosures-karlsonator-6-plan-png

Last edited:
Thanks Chris

- that is impressive (in the bad sense). PRV's 10FR300 shows quite a bit of rise/HF peak in their literature, but not horrid in a "K10" size K-box

10FR300 sells in the US for $59 - shipped.

It probably would show more HF peak if the mic had been
pointing down at the dustcap - (the baffle tilts back ~30 degrees from perpendicular)

2HWW0h1.png

Last edited:
No problem. That curve wasn't calibrated for SPL or drive level, so the absolute SPL is likely incorrect.

However, we can still see the kHz range is basically unusable.

FWIW, it sounded like this in person. Kinda-passable-ish for a small selection of tracks. The majority of music we tried was unlistenable.

Chris

throw it in a Karlson - type - adjust the aperture best as possible - hope for the best - or ditch most of the cavity and start experimenting with various slots - perhaps an "hourglass" shape. Did the FAST10 appear to have much usable excursion? I had a Nirvana Super10 in a 41Hz tuned reflex box and it could not play Danley's Harley bike motor track - excursion went wild and all it did was fart. Surprisingly Eminence's 12LTA fared pretty well in a Karlson K12 on that track.

I'm afraid it wasn't my driver. Not sure if a Karlson would save it.

I did try listening at the back of the U-frame, and found the sound to be much more listenable. Graph below.

There's a bit of useful Xmax IIRC, but IMO there are certainly better midbass units out there. In all, I can't recommend these drivers.

Chris

Attachments

• Back.png
    Back.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 177
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.