Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

42mm FR Drivers from Banggood?
42mm FR Drivers from Banggood?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2019, 10:15 AM   #1
3rutu5 is offline 3rutu5  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default 42mm FR Drivers from Banggood?

hey guys and gals,

Just curious if anyone has used these (or similar from elsewhere) sized drivers that seem to be a clone of the bose minilinks.

42mm 4Ω 10w diy full range audio speaker stereo woofer loudspeaker for bluetooth speaker Sale - Banggood.com

tempted to buy a couple either paired with a passive radiator or get 4 and finally try the Iso. Would be interesting to see if i could build something very compact and get some ok sound out of it.

Any views on the subject?
Old 8th October 2019, 03:11 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

No specs, no clue.

GM
Old 8th October 2019, 07:24 PM   #3
krakatoa is offline krakatoa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Somebody published some measured specs in the video description here - YouTube - but I am not sure it's the same exact model. Generally speaking the large neo magnet should provide good performance if the suspension is not too stiff.
Old 8th October 2019, 08:38 PM   #4
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There are loads of those Bose knock-offs around from China. I bought some and the T/S parameters were nothing like that of the ones on YouTube. And their quality control was as terrible as the frequency response wasn't flat.

Save yourself the hassle and buy a micro speaker from tang band with T/S parameters that suit your application. It'll cost more but at least you know what you're getting.
Old 9th October 2019, 08:22 AM   #5
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

On YT, there's a fascination about how much a cone can move, and the consensus over there seems to be that if it can move like that, it must be a great driver.

Yeah, YouTube "experts".
Old 9th October 2019, 09:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

yes i've seen a lot of "wow look at that excursion" and "wow these are bass heavy" comments floating around.

My fasination is making something small and compact that has a bit of bass. which itself may be quite the mission itself.

i noticed that peerless does a 1.5" FR driver and tectonics does a 2". I have used the TEBM65's on numerous occasions, but a bit hesitant using the smaller drivers after i purchased the DA ND65's, which actually measured a much smaller size than advertised.

Lets say i follow on from the TEBM, which claims to have a F3 of 85hz in a 0.026 ft. enclosure, would they have enough ummpft to push a passive radiator and if i was to use these in an isobar would there be any benefit in doing so?

I have been wanting to try the tangbands for a while, just very expensive to get a set into australia.
Old 9th October 2019, 11:25 AM   #7
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Even though seeing a 2" flapping around might be impressive to some, it just doesn't have the size to push any amount of meaningful air and translate it into some kind of believable bass... plus at that point, the highs are probably going to be completely distorted anyway.

You want small and bass? Get headphones.

The smallest I'd go myself is at least 3" and something with a transmission line.

Otherwise, to myself, anything else is just computer speakers to listen to someone saying he can't believe how good this driver is by looking at the excursion on YT!

How about SBAcoustics? Cheaper than TB? SBA makes very nice drivers.
Old 9th October 2019, 11:35 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Haha thanks....a nice set of ear buds you reckon will be just as good

I have a nice set of monitors I built with 3.5" in 0.18 cuft boxes that get a F0 of 58hz and they go pretty well on the bass. And another boombox with similar specs.

I guess I like pushing the envelope and still want to have a crack at something tiny, but get the point.
Old 10th October 2019, 02:17 AM   #9
stocktrader200 is offline stocktrader200  Canada
diyAudio Member

9 of those in a resized bose 901 cabinet would be an interesting project
Old 10th October 2019, 02:49 AM   #10
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
Save yourself the hassle and buy a micro speaker from tang band with T/S parameters that suit your application. It'll cost more but at least you know what you're getting.
I was fascinated by their line of micro subwoofer drivers...some are built in ISO style, which OP likes
80 dB is the estimated efficiency of the fullrange beast
4Ω should make for halved coil value
but double capacitor value. If going with serial crossover, I'd say try with 3-4 mH and 10-20 uF ballpark values

42mm FR Drivers from Banggood?Hide this!Advertise here!