42mm FR Drivers from Banggood?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are loads of those Bose knock-offs around from China. I bought some and the T/S parameters were nothing like that of the ones on YouTube. And their quality control was as terrible as the frequency response wasn't flat.

Save yourself the hassle and buy a micro speaker from tang band with T/S parameters that suit your application. It'll cost more but at least you know what you're getting.

yes i've seen a lot of "wow look at that excursion" and "wow these are bass heavy" comments floating around.

My fasination is making something small and compact that has a bit of bass. which itself may be quite the mission itself.

i noticed that peerless does a 1.5" FR driver and tectonics does a 2". I have used the TEBM65's on numerous occasions, but a bit hesitant using the smaller drivers after i purchased the DA ND65's, which actually measured a much smaller size than advertised.

Lets say i follow on from the TEBM, which claims to have a F3 of 85hz in a 0.026 ft.³ enclosure, would they have enough ummpft to push a passive radiator and if i was to use these in an isobar would there be any benefit in doing so?

I have been wanting to try the tangbands for a while, just very expensive to get a set into australia.

Even though seeing a 2" flapping around might be impressive to some, it just doesn't have the size to push any amount of meaningful air and translate it into some kind of believable bass... plus at that point, the highs are probably going to be completely distorted anyway.

You want small and bass? Get headphones. :)

The smallest I'd go myself is at least 3" and something with a transmission line.

Otherwise, to myself, anything else is just computer speakers to listen to someone saying he can't believe how good this driver is by looking at the excursion on YT! :)

How about SBAcoustics? Cheaper than TB? SBA makes very nice drivers.

Haha thanks....a nice set of ear buds you reckon will be just as good :)

I have a nice set of monitors I built with 3.5" in 0.18 cuft boxes that get a F0 of 58hz and they go pretty well on the bass. And another boombox with similar specs.

I guess I like pushing the envelope and still want to have a crack at something tiny, but get the point.

Save yourself the hassle and buy a micro speaker from tang band with T/S parameters that suit your application. It'll cost more but at least you know what you're getting.
I was fascinated by their line of micro subwoofer drivers...some are built in ISO style, which OP likes:rolleyes::confused:
80 dB is the estimated efficiency of the fullrange beast
4Ω should make for halved coil value
but double capacitor value. If going with serial crossover, I'd say try with 3-4 mH and 10-20 uF ballpark values :eek:

I was thinking after the previous posts that I can get the tebm 35's for 15 aud each which is the same as the Bose knock offs and I have a DTA2 board and have been itching to try a iso set up but when i modelled it I wasn't so sure. I have a few amp boards kicking about as well, one being a 2.1 class d PE board, but want the smallest enclosure possible or not interested in doing it.

The TB W1 2121S are excellent little drivers and paired with appropriate passive radiators will give bass extension down to 60Hz.

They have been specifically designed for T/S parameters that optimise perfectly for use with small ported or PR cabinets. Ported doesn't work well due to the need for a very long port in such tiny cabinets but with PRs things are good. They need an EBS alignment for the deepest bass.

Best thing is they have a flat frequency response and low distortion at drive levels you'd expect from them.

SB have three small full range drivers. The two largest ones are not suited to passive radiator/ported cabinets. You can use them sealed but to get decent extension you then need to use a linkwitz transform.

The SB65 sounds wonderful but needs the LT for decent bass. The W1-2121S goes deeper with PRs and uses less power doing it, it's much simpler to use in that regard but little monitors still need baffle step compensation.

The SB36 will optimise into a ported/PR enclosure although I haven't simulated with it to see just what it'll manage.

PUI Audio have what looks like a decent small PR that can be bought through mouser and most likely elsewhere too.

It's called the APR050SO-R

Then there are the Dayton DMA series. Careful simulation is needed to match the PRs to the drivers as they don't work as well together as DA would lead to you believe. Also careful selection is needed to get a design that will have good bass extension.

Attached is a picture of my Bluetooth W1-2121S speaker. As it happens I'm using them right now with my tablet to watch Netflix.

Attachments

• IMG_20191010_153106.jpg
    IMG_20191010_153106.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Haha thanks....a nice set of ear buds you reckon will be just as good :)

I have a nice set of monitors I built with 3.5" in 0.18 cuft boxes that get a F0 of 58hz and they go pretty well on the bass. And another boombox with similar specs.

I guess I like pushing the envelope and still want to have a crack at something tiny, but get the point.

I have those KZ ZX5’s and ZX6’s with dual balanced armature mid and tweets and dual dynamic woofer drivers. They definitely go low - HT style head shaking deep bass to 20Hz (maybe lower) and are 114dB/mW sensitive. Hard to beat the bass and highs on them with most room speakers. For $40 it’s a bargain. There is a mod to reduce some of the treble if it seems too much for you. My old ears don’t mind as I have a hard time hearing above 16kHz.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
All of that for $8.33?!

My first Bluetooth speakers used the 3118 connected to the balanced out of the Bluetooth module but I really needed active filtering for best system performance. Plus the DAC onboard the 5756 is quite a bit nicer than what's on the Bluetooth module. The module also produced a small amount of background noise on its analogue outputs that the 5756 got rid of completely.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, it is crazy cheap. I have also used a BT module with next/previous track start/stop buttons, a USB memory jack, and microSD card reader and IR remote control - but no power amp - for $12 (but now, seems to cost only $5). It sounds incredibly good - no noise or hiss. I sometimes use it as a source on my main system and can't complain.

V5.0 V4.2 Bluetooth Audio Receiver Board With Usb Tf Card Slot Decoding Playback Preamp Output 5v Wireless Stereo Music Module-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Just buying the 3.5mm TRS, USB, and TF card jacks, SMT click buttons, standoffs, etc will set you back $15 to $20 from Mouser etc.

Last edited:
The TB W1 2121S are excellent little drivers and paired with appropriate passive radiators will give bass extension down to 60Hz.

They have been specifically designed for T/S parameters that optimise perfectly for use with small ported or PR cabinets. Ported doesn't work well due to the need for a very long port in such tiny cabinets but with PRs things are good. They need an EBS alignment for the deepest bass.

Best thing is they have a flat frequency response and low distortion at drive levels you'd expect from them.

SB have three small full range drivers. The two largest ones are not suited to passive radiator/ported cabinets. You can use them sealed but to get decent extension you then need to use a linkwitz transform.

The SB65 sounds wonderful but needs the LT for decent bass. The W1-2121S goes deeper with PRs and uses less power doing it, it's much simpler to use in that regard but little monitors still need baffle step compensation.

The SB36 will optimise into a ported/PR enclosure although I haven't simulated with it to see just what it'll manage.

PUI Audio have what looks like a decent small PR that can be bought through mouser and most likely elsewhere too.

It's called the APR050SO-R

I wanted to try a LT a while ago so i could use the known 3.5's in a half size box, but got a bit scared of how that actually goes together as i couldnt understand where or what to get all the parts from. I've only ever used the bigger resistors, caps etc for BSC's. Or do you buy a pre made board?

Those TB's in that box look unreal as well, i would love to try them (as well as the 3 and 4 inch subs), but with the such poor AUD i would be looking at almost 50-60 AUD per driver potentially, maybe more with the tax and shipping added. Its a massive rip off at the moment. That and that alone, makes me look within Australia and see what internation firms have a presence here and look at what bargains i can snag. RS Online has the Tectonics for 15 AUD each and i would be happy to spend that on a little hobby build. I still have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth from buying the ND65's for 35 AUD each and the amount of distortion i got barely putting much through it, i found them junk for the price.

I do like to try new things and wouldnt be afraid to try a LT, with ISO and a passive :D but that may be too adventurous lol.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.