Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FAST  / WAW: Alpair 10.3 and 15" JBL 2226H
FAST  / WAW: Alpair 10.3 and 15" JBL 2226H
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2019, 12:04 PM   #11
Oceanw is offline Oceanw  Finland
diyAudio Member

roon dsp.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I was thinking about that today… is it parametric? Can you create a shelf? Maye with a dip in-between.

Yes its possible, see attachment pic. I think this could be first option to try besides PLXXO which are strange/new for me.
So Roon EQ for level matching and passive XO doing slopes at 305Hz..

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Also try to keep the centre-to-centre distance less than a 1/4 wavelength of the XO frequency (which essentially means the drivers become coincident).
This criteria can be achieved. 1/4 wavelenght of 305Hz is 28cm. When drivers are tightly placed, distance from center to center is 27,2cm.

Concerning enclosure for JBL 2226H, which needs to be done first, diyaudio user "Inductor" mentioned this suggestion in other thread:

"From what you say you want a tight musical sealed enclosure/speaker. I can post for you one (BR) that will be similar (tight/ideal) with a fair response in frequency, in musical/jazzy terms, this is possible. And this alignment would give you a fair response (sub) usually not used in 3-Way speakers of small dimensions."

JBL 2226H
Reflex enclosure (net) 82L@39Hz, plus add the volume for driver and port.
Port: 15.0 cm diameter/32.25 cm lenght
F3@57 Hz
F12@32 Hz

Source: jbl 2226hpl closed box?

----

Im tempted to proceed with this. Port could be plugged if bass response is not fun enough and then EQ:ing can be added. If anyone have other enclosure ideas for JBL 2226H I will listen. No restrictions for size.

Last edited by Oceanw; 4th October 2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 4th October 2019, 08:30 PM   #12
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

It's definitely a fine alignment, but limited WRT EQing, so for lower Qt drivers I normally used/recommend Vas tuned to Fs or at minimum, the pioneer's 147.74 L [Vas]/1.44 = ~121.5 L, which is the balanced trade-off between size, power handling, gain BW.

Worst case sealed Qtc and least EQ options is of course the smallest cab, though in-room, doubtful the average person would be able to tell much, if any, difference = ~0.58 [82 L], 0.51 [121.5 L], 0.48 [147.74 L].

GM
Old 6th October 2019, 02:14 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
It's definitely a fine alignment, but limited WRT EQing, so for lower Qt drivers I normally used/recommend Vas tuned to Fs or at minimum, the pioneer's 147.74 L [Vas]/1.44 = ~121.5 L, which is the balanced trade-off between size, power handling, gain BW.

Worst case sealed Qtc and least EQ options is of course the smallest cab, though in-room, doubtful the average person would be able to tell much, if any, difference = ~0.58 [82 L], 0.51 [121.5 L], 0.48 [147.74 L].

GM
Thanks, I could try Vas tuned to Fs (40Hz) It will be 175 liters then.
Front baffle width would be 38cm (15") D: 65cm (25,5") H: 94cm (37")

Could this design be ruined by positioning woofer at wrong distance from floor, and getting floor bounce that messes LF response? Any suggestions for good position?
Old 8th October 2019, 03:41 PM   #14
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

You're welcome!

Yes, though frankly, never paid much attention to floor bounce since getting the components up to seated/whatever ear height and even more importantly, at an odd harmonic [peak] of the room height with the listening position at an odd harmonic of the room, is far more important IME.

So many times I've been in folk's rooms where these two were not matched up, so in many cases they were using [far] more power than necessary due to excessive EQ.

These's a local with a huge [4] way horn system in a relatively large room that once the separate systems were properly located he was able to remove all EQ except for the obvious SPL level matching and once digital time delay was done he had a nominally flat amplitude, phase response in stereo from ~16 Hz -22 kHz, i.e. can reproduce a square wave, the requirement to accurately reproduce music.

Note that this is a single seat system and Rythmik Audio servo subs or similar required to get the low end to match up to the compression loaded bass horns unless of course you have the room, etc., for compression loaded infrasonic subs .

GM
Old 11th October 2019, 02:20 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
You're welcome!

Yes, though frankly, never paid much attention to floor bounce since getting the components up to seated/whatever ear height and even more importantly, at an odd harmonic [peak] of the room height with the listening position at an odd harmonic of the room, is far more important IME.

GM
OK! I decided to mount 15" woofer so that its center is 40cm (15,7") from the floor. If Alpair is positioned above woofer as nearest as possible, Alpairs height from the floor will be almost same as in Poplar design, and that works already concerning Alpair.

I try this design first at 82L (2,9cuft) @39Hz vented enclosure mentioned in post #11. Just because old enclosures from broken Hifi 85/3 DIY speakers are available, Their volume is 85L) Those enclosures can be modified to larger so displacement of 15" driver, Alpair chamber and vent are taken account.
Even the width of those old enclosures suits for original plan: 38cm (15")

FAST  / WAW: Alpair 10.3 and 15" JBL 2226HHide this!Advertise here!