How to stuff speakers with polyfill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@Turk - I'm aware of that phenomena. If you made a plot of "virtual cabinet volume" against "weight/mass of stuffing", I'm not sure that would be a straight line that goes to infinity. I would think there'd be a limit to how big you can make a cabinet appear to the driver, say, Vvirtual/Vactual = 1.2, after which adding more stuffing starts to reduce the apparent cabinet size.

Maybe that is where you're using a trash compactor to push the stuffing into the box; I dunno. Maybe it is linear in the range of what human hands can do force wise.

I read years ago where someone stated he stuffs lightly and only to the point where the echo of his speaking voice (down the TL) was attenuated. Maybe works for a reflex or sealed enclosure as well - although those rear wall reflections might demand more treatment than that.

~20% increase is also what I remember reading years back.

I used this quite a bit with car woofers, back when woofers wanted large boxes. It did make a difference in practice with subwoofers (unmeasured), and was worth the extra couple bucks in materials when box size was smaller than desirable.

Maybe that is where you're using a trash compactor to push the stuffing into the box; I dunno

Joe, stuffing density for polyester is on the order of 1 lb/ft3 to move the process more towards isothermal operation and increase the "apparent volume". Density for other fibers will vary somewhat depending on thermal properties, but should be in the same general ballpark.

Batting is much easier to tease out into the chaotic mess that works best.

40g-acousta-stuff.jpg

The above is acoutastuff — a bit harder to properly tease then standard polyfill.

Bat is a sheet used for making quilts/coats etc, fill is used for pillows and such.

dave

so, should batting be used teased out or should I just layer it on the walls and glue it in place?

Where does one get 12mm cotton felt? Preferably in Canada

True felt rug underlayer. Quite pricey for your house (ahem, ahem) but is a very smart move to improve the sound in all rooms (in addition to your loudspeaker rooms) and used for wall-to-wall carpeting (alas, out of style). I hoarded it for years.

Although very expensive, if you look in the catalog of acoustic materials supply houses, you will find all kinds of materials that are delightful to contemplate. Sometimes it makes sense to use these - like to quiet-down an air-handler furnace.

This thread is verging on craziness. A Sabine is a Sabine and that (along with the details of freq, cost, space, moths, etc) that's the whole story.

Some discussion of classic Bozak speakers elsewhere now. Bozak filled his cabs with stuffing. I took the backs off my Bozaks (north of 140 Hz XO) and the sound was fabulous.

Funny, in some threads people are salivating over dipole sound. But here people can't image a box without a back as serving as a dipole.

B.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.