Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PRV full range drivers
PRV full range drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2019, 07:34 AM   #11
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

PRV full range drivers
and here's the 10" PRV fullrange in 1 and 1.5 cubic foot sealed boxes with 450uF series cap

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th October 2019, 07:57 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

PRV full range drivers
Here's a bit more on 10FR300 in a 42 liter sealed box with 450uF series cap, I don't know how a real
world electolytic cap with some film bypass would perform vs this sim. Its a nice size box and DC should not fry things.

Last edited by freddi; 8th October 2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 8th October 2019, 06:08 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

PRV full range drivers
some fill and I think the 42 liter closed box with 450uF sim looks pretty good. Make it out of well braced 12mm or 15mm Baltic birch.

Old 8th October 2019, 06:42 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

PRV full range drivers
and without a cap, maybe a dual chamber sealed box like the old SEAS/Dynaco A35

Old 20th October 2019, 09:04 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

PRV full range drivers
my 2003 Dell (and myself) are about kaput. Here's a few simple on and dead on axis traces of 10FR300 in an ~0.62 scale Karlson with about 1 cubic back chamber and the cabinet sitting ~37" off the floor and some distance from sidewalls. It probably would make a better looking graph using REW but I'm not well and don't remember the settings as only tried REW a couple of times.

From this perspective, there's no low frequency peaking. You can see reducing port size down to maybe 4 or 5 square inches opening at the top of the port made it leaner - but also created a deeper response hole It probably would sound decent in Karlson's K12 - or some Karlsonator.

That ~10KHz peak somehow doesn't scream.

Rg may have been as high as 1 ohm . Sorry for no real pic of it in the cabinet
but its the cabinet shown on the graph.

oh - these are 1/24 octave so further smoothing (such as 1/6 octave) would look somewhat better

AH - here's an old graph of the first type commercial K12 (1954) using REW with Eminence and Dayton 12 -
so will try to see how REW interprets this PRV in the scaled K. BTW, in the January 1954 issue of Radio and Television
News, John Karlson warned about directly scaling down to a 12 size. I think that is probably case dependent. Karlson
to my limited knowledge never used a front shelf in the smaller couplers. It probably was employed in Karlson's K18.

Last edited by freddi; 20th October 2019 at 09:23 AM.

PRV full range driversHide this!Advertise here!