Drop in replacement for Alpair 7.2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have a pair of Pensil with Alpair 7.2 EnABLed in them. Until yesterday, I was most happy with them. Unfortunately, one of the two drivers now makes a rattling noise most noticeable on certain notes (in particular 220Hz A note). Pushing the cone gently in and out produces the typical rubbing noise one associates with a rubbing coil.

I am looking for advice on:

1. Is there a way to fix the problem?
2. If not, what would a *good* slot-in replacement for the Alpairs be? I have taken a look at the Alpair 7ms, but, unless the datasheet is wrong, the mounting flange is substantially smaller (119mm) that the one in the 7.2. Also the top-end frequency response looks significantly less smooth than that of the 7.2. The 7.2 have a wonderful top end.

Alternatively, would the Jordan Eikonas be suitable for the unmodified Pensil enclosure?
Though, again they might not be as extended as the 7.2.

Many thanks in advance,
Giulio

Last edited:
giulio - following up on my comment above, if you’ve not already contacted Dave, I’ll note that while the A7P might well qualify as a direct drop in replacement in terms of its physical dimensions, it definitely has a different tonal balance. We’d tried it out as the original smaller driver in our A12PW/A7 MTM in the hope of an all paper driver system, but to our ears there was something a bit “not quite right” - to quote an old Supertramp lyric - about the combination.
Stefan at KJF might also be able to offer some help.

giulio - following up on my comment above, if you’ve not already contacted Dave, I’ll note that while the A7P might well qualify as a direct drop in replacement in terms of its physical dimensions, it definitely has a different tonal balance. We’d tried it out as the original smaller driver in our A12PW/A7 MTM in the hope of an all paper driver system, but to our ears there was something a bit “not quite right” - to quote an old Supertramp lyric - about the combination.
Stefan at KJF might also be able to offer some help.

Thanks Crhis! I have not yet contacted Dave since I was initially hoping to avoid custom duties. In Europe, Scott has none and Stefan lists the 7.3 as out of stock on his website. This brings me to the next question. Is there a replacement (range- and quality-wise, forget housing it in the same enclosure) to the 7.2/7.3 in the current Mark Audio range? From my reading of various posts on diyaudio it seems to me the answer is no. May be the 10.3 comes closest at the price of a slightly lower top end extension.

When I read “drop in replacement”, I assume it means something that will fit in existing machined cutout/ rebate, and align with number and location of mounting screw holes. None of the new frame style series match the physical dimensions of their predecessors, and I’ve not heard all of the latest models, but by all accounts the Pluvia 7.2 HD is as close sonically to the old A7.3 as you’ll get.
I should think that with some clever wood bashing/ cosmetic surgery, a pair should be able to be retro fit into existing A7.3 enclosures. If previous drivers were fully rebated, as the Pluvia7 have both slightly smaller diameter through hole and flange, an adaptor ring would be required to fill the recess gap. There’s no reason that couldn’t become an accent piece.
Perhaps an accessory market for Stefan’s CNC shop.;)
Yes, I’m aware that depending on whether the original A7s used the optional extra rings there would be two potential sizes of such adaptor rings, but it should only be a few minutes of CNC programming / machining run time to blast out a small batch.

When I read “drop in replacement”, I assume it means something that will fit in existing machined cutout/ rebate, and align with number and location of mounting screw holes. None of the new frame style series match the physical dimensions of their predecessors, and I’ve not heard all of the latest models, but by all accounts the Pluvia 7.2 HD is as close sonically to the old A7.3 as you’ll get.
I should think that with some clever wood bashing/ cosmetic surgery, a pair should be able to be retro fit into existing A7.3 enclosures. If previous drivers were fully rebated, as the Pluvia7 have both slightly smaller diameter through hole and flange, an adaptor ring would be required to fill the recess gap. There’s no reason that couldn’t become an accent piece.
Perhaps an accessory market for Stefan’s CNC shop.;)
Yes, I’m aware that depending on whether the original A7s used the optional extra rings there would be two potential sizes of such adaptor rings, but it should only be a few minutes of CNC programming / machining run time to blast out a small batch.

Thanks a lot Chris! I meant "drop in" more as suitable to the original Pensil enclosure for the 7.2. Not having to modify the cutout would have been an added bonus, but my main concern was not having to put together a new box. I am glad to know that failing to source a pair of a7.3 from Dave, the Pluvia are a decent replacement. I was so pleased with the A7.2, though that may partly be due to they being EnABLed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.