Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drop in replacement for Alpair 7.2
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2019, 10:24 AM   #11
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
People seem to complain that it's not as smooth on top and possibly less extended below compared to the 7.x. Am I misreading the various threads?

Thanks!
Can't you find measurements?
Old 7th October 2019, 03:07 PM   #12
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

When I read “drop in replacement”, I assume it means something that will fit in existing machined cutout/ rebate, and align with number and location of mounting screw holes. None of the new frame style series match the physical dimensions of their predecessors, and I’ve not heard all of the latest models, but by all accounts the Pluvia 7.2 HD is as close sonically to the old A7.3 as you’ll get.
I should think that with some clever wood bashing/ cosmetic surgery, a pair should be able to be retro fit into existing A7.3 enclosures. If previous drivers were fully rebated, as the Pluvia7 have both slightly smaller diameter through hole and flange, an adaptor ring would be required to fill the recess gap. There’s no reason that couldn’t become an accent piece.
Perhaps an accessory market for Stefan’s CNC shop.
Yes, I’m aware that depending on whether the original A7s used the optional extra rings there would be two potential sizes of such adaptor rings, but it should only be a few minutes of CNC programming / machining run time to blast out a small batch.
Old 7th October 2019, 03:32 PM   #13
giulio is offline giulio  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
When I read “drop in replacement”, I assume it means something that will fit in existing machined cutout/ rebate, and align with number and location of mounting screw holes. None of the new frame style series match the physical dimensions of their predecessors, and I’ve not heard all of the latest models, but by all accounts the Pluvia 7.2 HD is as close sonically to the old A7.3 as you’ll get.
I should think that with some clever wood bashing/ cosmetic surgery, a pair should be able to be retro fit into existing A7.3 enclosures. If previous drivers were fully rebated, as the Pluvia7 have both slightly smaller diameter through hole and flange, an adaptor ring would be required to fill the recess gap. There’s no reason that couldn’t become an accent piece.
Perhaps an accessory market for Stefan’s CNC shop.
Yes, I’m aware that depending on whether the original A7s used the optional extra rings there would be two potential sizes of such adaptor rings, but it should only be a few minutes of CNC programming / machining run time to blast out a small batch.
Thanks a lot Chris! I meant "drop in" more as suitable to the original Pensil enclosure for the 7.2. Not having to modify the cutout would have been an added bonus, but my main concern was not having to put together a new box. I am glad to know that failing to source a pair of a7.3 from Dave, the Pluvia are a decent replacement. I was so pleased with the A7.2, though that may partly be due to they being EnABLed.
Old 7th October 2019, 03:48 PM   #14
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

I googled and found an online seller in the Netherlands with stock of A7.3. Plus there's lots on ebay, so they are out there if you look.

jeff
Old 8th October 2019, 07:07 AM   #15
giulio is offline giulio  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
I googled and found an online seller in the Netherlands with stock of A7.3. Plus there's lots on ebay, so they are out there if you look.

jeff
Thanks jeff! That's most useful.I had not spotted those. From the listing title I thought they were 7MS.
Old 11th October 2019, 08:56 PM   #16
TimbreAudio is offline TimbreAudio  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I’d say;

Ebay some old 7.3’s.
Alpair 7p
Or add a super baffle, or simple ring to mount the smaller 7ms/p7.2d
Old 12th October 2019, 01:59 PM   #17
krivium is offline krivium  France
diyAudio Member

Hi, Giulio youve got pm.

Drop in replacement for Alpair 7.2Hide this!Advertise here!